Getting the PIDS right on a heavy copter

My Initial Factory settings:

3691105962?profile=original

I recently finished and assembling a QAV540G Quad with low KV high wattage motors with a 6S 5100 Battery pack. It is using TMotors 12" props.   The beast weighs about 5.5 lbs.

After assembling, calibrating and setting up flight mode  switches, Getting Telemetry going camera gimble, OSD, and the FPV system (1.3 GHZ, relaying to 5.8GHZ at the ground station). and a few just off the floor hoovers, I decided to take it up outdoors.

The first flight with no PID changes, it flew very stabile and handled pretty good although it feels a little heavy.. after climbing to about 40 feet I switched it into loiter, and it hovered "hands off" pretty good.. 

The second test flight was the next day in about  a 15 MPH wind..  I was near a building that was blocking the wind, but when I got up high, it still seemed pretty stable even in the wind.  However, I switched into Loiter, and it started rocking, seemed to be oscillating back and forth and with each oscillation, it got wilder and wilder, until I switched it back to stable mode.   It recovered and I brought it back to a landing without incident.

3691105763?profile=original

I don't understand much about the PIDS and adjusting them, but with the little info I have, I decided to take a stab at it. I reasoned that the lotier p value needed to be lowered due to reading somewhere that for more powerful motors the P values might need to be reduce.   Since loiter mode was where the issue was, I decided to try reducing the P value. (and I value)

I changed loiter P from the default value of 1.000 to .600 and I changed the I value from the default of .500 to .300

After this I flew it again, and in a slightly higher wind.  It didn't oscillate but did seem to break out of a tight hold to climb or drop a little, but only a limited amount, and then seem to work its way back to the holding position.  Also, I noticed that when I gave it what I thought was rudder input only , it climbed or dropped a little.   

What should my next adjustment be, split the difference? or should I start over with a different  approach?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• sorry I guess the sync issue caused the crash

This reply was deleted.

Activity