having issues with arduoilot apm2.6

Hi, I am new to quadcopters, I am having a few issues. On take off my quad gets about 6 inches off the ground and starts to move so I correct it, it then starts moving foward and I loose control of throttle all together, still only about 6 inches off the ground it then tips onto its side smashing probs burning out motors. I am using 4 emax 2215-09s with 10 x 4.7 props which should give about 5kg of thrust, my quad weighs about 3.5 kg, is it under powered ? Also one thing about calibration is when it says place on left side etc is this looking front on or from the rear ?Thanks for any input as I'm getting frustrated

IMG_20150128_232514.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Try this: APM Compass Calibration

=)

• Thanks for your advice :) so when calibrating accelerometer etc, is left side looking front on or from the rear ? Ie like a car ? Would I be better just putting another 4 2215s?
      Also from using the calc I father you need twice as much thrust as model weight ?
  • Assuming your numbers are correct your machine is either severely overweight, underpowered, or both.

And, assuming you're flying with a 4S LiPo and you're using GT2215-09 1180kv motors, then you're likely over-propped as well. According to eCalc those motors don't like anything much over 8-inch and 10-inch will definitely cause them to overheat.

Plugin your values here to see what combo is best for your airframe and battery: http://www.ecalc.ch/

If your all-up weight really is over 3kg then you really need to invest in larger motors.

• Hi thanks for the quick reply. I am using a 3s 6000ma , according to the specs on emax site they reccomended those props ? I am using 40 amp speed controllers , can you recomend a better motor without me having to run 4 more motors and speed controllers ? What is the ideal thrust to weight ratio ?
      • Ah, a 3S would definitely allow for a larger prop, but according to eCalc you shouldn't even be able to liftoff with that much weight ; )

As for thrust-to-weight, your model should hover with the throttle at 50%. 

At 40A your ESCs are fine but unless you can shed about 1.5kg of weight and move up to a 4S battery I would seriously consider motors in the 3000 to 4000 size range with kv ratings from about 500 to 1100.

eCalc is your friend. Spend a couple of dollars and get a subscription then spend some time plugging in different values for weight, batteries, motors, and props.  It takes the guesswork out of the equation.

Cheers!

This reply was deleted.

Activity