Hexacopter crashed on radio failsafe test.

I have a Turnigy 9xr with Frsky DR8-ii plus receiver. I have tested all flight modes and they are all workng great. When I did the final radio failsafe test. My hexa copter and crashed landed. Two arms broken. Can somebody check my logs and give me info on what could be the problem?

I'm using APM 2.6

2014-03-25 08-09-09.log

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• }else{
    // set landing state
    land_state = LAND_STATE_DESCENDING;

// if we have gps lock, attempt to hold horizontal position
    if (GPS_ok()) {
    // switch to loiter which restores horizontal control to pilot
    // To-Do: check that we are not in failsafe to ensure we don't process bad roll-pitch commands
    set_roll_pitch_mode(ROLL_PITCH_LOITER);
    // switch into loiter nav mode
    set_nav_mode(NAV_LOITER);
    }else{
    • Eric,

Thanks for the information. I should have waited for your reply before I flew.

I just tried again this morning before I got your message and I flew it to about 40 meters in altitude to check if it will manage to go to RTL when radio is turned off. 

Well, I guess it is really a bug because it just crashed. One broken arm and broken anti vibration mount. I'll be repairing again and will wait for 3.2. I hope 3.2 version will support APM 2.6.

I'm attaching the logs and my anaysis is that the motor just stop and did not bother to recover. It trigger a LOITER momentarily then RTL but since the motor is not turning I have no chance to regain control, 

2014-05-12 07-26-39.log

• This bug is fixed in 3.2.
    With 3.1, you can set the fail safe to user defined values.
    Throttle below 980(check the apm settings), all other channels are 1500.
  • I do not know whay a -45deg roll (rollin) was commanded at line 20349 , while you still were in stabilize - nor do I see RCIN that could contain a reason.

- it's still strange that loiter or RTL did not apply any throttle.

without RCin it's hard to understand how that roll was commanded.

• My radio TX  is Frsky DJT and the RX is DR8-II+. The failsafe is program set servo position(option 2). I have also flashed my DR8-II+ to support CPPM and as per warning I have set channel 5 on my Frsky to loiter because of the very short period of time (3/50ths of a second) between when the receiver pulls the throttle low and when the APM initiates the RTL or LAND.

I noticed that when I turned off the power on my TX, the copter tilted or roll sideways which is about -45deg as you said and then crashed.

I guess Frsky is not suited for FS on APM.

• if you can , try to use PPM.  Most systems behave differently, or just drop PPM signal regardless of failsafe setup,

I am not confidernt that the radio is the problem, unless other frsky users can confirm it, it would actually doubt it. - anyway - I'd expect loiter or RTL to inrease throttle. 

If you post a link to this thread on the new ardupilot.com forum, you may get attention from devs.

- And "no", I dont suggest that this is is a bug, RTL and failsafes work fine, I guess there's some other condition that caused it.

• Ok thanks for you reply. I will try to drop PPM signal regardless of failsafe setup.

• I have rebuild my hexacopter and tried the radio failsafe again. This time I tested the radio failsafe at about 10meters. The hexa started to roll and became jerky when I turned off the TX. I managed to get the control back again to prevent damaged. I still do not understand why the roll and pitch always goes to -45 degrees when I turned off the radio.

Can somebody kind enough to check my logs. I can't see/enable an RCOUT on my logs, however I enabled MOTORS in the log files.

2014-05-11 07-49-35 4.log

• It's bug in apm.
              When the copter is start to land, it still process roll/pitch commands from rc receiver.
              A simple workaround could be setting your rx to send roll and pitch as 1500 when in fail safe.
              • it's not a bug, during LAND, if RC is working, it is possible for the operator to adjust position during descend/landing. So the input is accepted, it sounds like wrong failsafe programming is to blame.

This reply was deleted.

Activity