closing this thread

guys,

i m deleting my posts 

if anyone wants to keep in touch ,feel free to pm

thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Did it ever occur to anybody here in this forum that, at least in the US, RC aircraft are limited to 50 LBS and less?

• Option 2  "big pocket" too. No free lunch.

You could send an ad out for a qualified project manager, count on $150/hour to get a decent one with UAV experience who knows what they are doing, maybe a  few hundred hours to get  started,  have him or her hire the right people and start raising funds. A bit less possibly if you get lucky and find a passionate, financially secure semi-retired or retired type of person who ends up believing  in you and your idea.

There's a good number of people  on this forum that could qualify, personally I'd consider it for maybe $50k upfront, after a thorough legal and financial background check. Secrecy on nature of payload or location would be a non starter.

• I find the idea very interesting, but I wouldn't like to contribute in any way to something that's likely illegal, that's why I was asking exactly what goods you're going to transport, why is it necessary to go by air, if you're going to pass borders etc. But OK I think we all get the idea now, even without knowing exactly the kind of valuable goods.

The roadmap proposed by John is a very good advice. I think it's possible to do based on an existing small aircraft, and with a team composed of one real plane pilot, and one guy specialized in rc autopilots, telemetry, large servos, plane mechanics and such. But that's likely a one or two years project if the guys are good. Of course it would be better with a third guy to manage the legal aspects, authorization, licences, certifications etc.

• •i m trying to build an uav with these capabilities:

•... and all(preferably off the shelf tools)?

No “Off the shelf” tools. Satcom with Iridium is feasible.

Two routes you can choose, in short, depending on whether you want to do it yourself or contract it out.

Summarizing and over-simplifying greatly:

1. Contract: Knock at the door of Boeing, Northtrop Grunman and the likes, ready with a check for a few million dollars to start.

2. DIY. Sign up for  a degree in Aerospace Engineering, or learn on your own. While at it, start building a small model airplane from scratch (Bixler, say, you can look it up on this forum) , 500g payload, learn to fly it autonomously. (I am assuming you are not at this level yet, since you would know what off the shelf tools are available). Lots of advice and help you’ll get from this forum on this. After a year or so, move to a larger plane, 3-meters or so wingspan, gas engine, 5kg payload, learn to fly it autonomously 10km out, say. Also lots of advice you'll get from this forum.

By the time you’ve done that repeatedly and reliability, you’ll probably have graduated or learned what you need to know. Start assembling a team. You’ll need something like a ½ to a dozen MS/PhD types or equivalent (degrees not necessarily required, but knowledge and knowhow  is), aerospace engineering, software engineering, control engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, along with a few million dollars. While at it  buy or rent a hangar with private airstrip. You’ll then be good to start. Count on a couple years minimum (if you guys work real hard and you are real good) to get some kind of first prototype out.

• Flying an unmanned plane for 1000 km does not seems to be a security issue. But going through a boat seems a security issue.... you must be kidding :P

• Hey, in the meanwhile I found what you're looking for, a cheap autopilot for real plane, with the required servos :

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/Autopilot_intro.html

I'm still curious about what you'll want to transport or try to do, is it really secret or can you give more details ?

• So your plan is to insult and defame the people providing you information?  I'm still trying to figure out what Fox News has to do with any of this.

You asked for information on something with limited practicality, no precedent, and you have zero experience on anything related to it.  If you want someone to hand you a solution, it doesn't exist.  If you want help working towards a solution, I suggest you stop acting like a jackass to the people trying to help you.

Ok, tapping out of this thread. Good luck, stay safe
    Personally, I feel that there is a lot of studying and learning that can be done by reading existing documentation.
    Much of what you're asking about can either be read in the Ardupilot wiki, or by reading through blog posts.
    Then again, maybe I'm just having a "sensitive" day in terms of hearing people's grand plans for drones, 2 days after they found out you could build them yourself. I did wake up to a phone call this morning for a retired banker that wants to "develop a drone to follow officers and shoot nets at suspects".

If the two points are between islands why not make an autonomous boat, much easier you can buy off the shelf trolling motor autopilots that would drive a dingy that could carry 200kg or more.

This reply was deleted.

Activity