I want to create my own drone.

Hello everyone. I'm quite new to the drone community, and I have zero experience with drone engineering. However, I've had this idea/desire of creating my own unique drone for quite some time to the point I could no longer ignore it. I know how I want the drone designed as far as its appearance,function, and purpose, but I am clueless on where to start. I'm posting this discussion in hopes for any advice or knowledge that would be beneficial. Feel free to inbox or email. Thanks.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What's great about multirotors and quad copters specifically is that they are extremely easy to design and build. Four relatively rigid booms, I would start with some square tubing as it is the easiest to work with, four escs four motors four props a battery and a kk2. 

If you are planning on using 3d printed components you can probably accelerate your design substantially and produce something unique and interesting from a aesthetic perspective.

As long as your structure is rigid enough and you use a suggested or proven power setup you will be absolutely fine. There's a reason quadcopters and most drones in general are essentially a commodity - pretty much anyone can design and build one!

• Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. I will definitely give both approaches a try as a basis of learning!
  • Hi,

I've built 3 quadcopters now, so I am no expert. Below is a link to the guide that I used as a basis for where I stated about 3 years ago. It's a good read and you really need to start with something basic before getting into the more advanced drones so you understand how all the components work together. I started with a very simple but reliable controller called the KK2.0, and have moved to the far more advanced Pixhawk. I would not recommend starting with a pixhawk as the learning curve would be so steep that you could loose interest prior to being able to use it correctly. Here is the link, take your time, there's no rush and expect to crash a few times. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38561

Good luck

• buy a used dji phantom 1 or 2, not 3 nor 4, play with it for weeks, learn how to fix / mod it from rcgroups, then you will figure out what you want to create.

This reply was deleted.

Activity