Inexpensive solution for GPS drone?

Hi,

I'm an art professor working on a project idea for my next class involving a drone, but have 0 experience, was hoping someone might have a suggestion?!

We are on a very tight budget, but want to find a way to use a very simple drone, on college property, that has a real-time GPS connected to it. The idea is we use the drone to literally make computer drawings by tracking the actions of the drone movements. Ideally watching this on a MacBook would be perfect (if there was such a compatible software). The drone does not need to go at a very high altitude, nor so far from our standing location (though ideally at least 50 meters would be great).

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

John

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What we really need is something incredibly simple... almost for children. Imagine you have a small drone or Quadcopter in your backyard, it is not flying that far from where you are standing (and no serious altitude). We want to simply track in real time either on our Mobile or macbook the activity. Even a pet tracking gps could work (if there is no weight issues). Just need some advice, we have 0 experience with this!

• In terms of GPS you mean regular GPS or RTK? What your discribe is cheep about 200 plus in parts if your going to build your self, controller pix hawk renege from $60 to $300 depending on variant open source and customizable FC.
  • Payload: this would depend on the GPS I am guessing, something that could work with a smallish drone (I have no experience with GPSs either). Also wonder if some have this built inside or not.

Flight time: I would guess at least 10 - 15 minutes

Size: I would imagine the smaller the better, unless a real time external GPS requires a bigger unit.

Thanks!

• Sounds interesting , You need to specify payload in kg?
    Flight time required ?
    Size of craft your thinking of ?
This reply was deleted.

Activity