International Buyers Beware!

I spent 329.99 on 3DR products nearly two months ago. I received the package a month and a half ago, all good this far.

Now today, a month and a half after FedEx dropped off the parts I get billed for $100 in import and customs fees!

I don't know if it is because I chose FedEx (on 3DR's recommendations) but I am feeling thoroughly ripped, this was a very expensive purchase for me (as a student)...getting a bill demanding 31% of my entire purchase nearly two months...

Moral of the story, factor in customs to your budget!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Jethro,

I live in France too.

And got punched by the custom tax as well (€80).

But I was expecting it.

Some companies cheat a bit on the value of the goods they send too reduce the custom fees.

3DR doesn't :)

Nothing new here.

Got charged the same way for my orders to hobbyking international warehouse.

I was so excited to get my hands on a Pixhawk that I couldn't wait.

But if I was to order again, I'd order from a European reseller like altigator.com

Less shipping costs and no custom fees.

Cheers

• For me €75 isn't small change either but I suppose I've been buying stuff online long enough to know the risks. This was the first time I've actually been caught for import fees on anything.

3DR do have a disclaimer in their terms and conditions but I know I never actually read these things unless something goes wrong.

"For international orders, you are also responsible for any tariffs, taxes, fees, VAT, duties due upon receipt.

http://3drobotics.com/terms/

What makes it more annoying for you is that you probably though you got away with it. For me my postman wouldn't hand over the package until I paid him.

• Unfortunately it's just a risk you take when purchasing internationally. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. I myself got hit with €75 in charges this week for a Pixhawk with GPS and telemetry importing it to Ireland. It essentially worked out around the same price as if I bough from a EU based reseller. I don't think you can blame 3DR for it as the money is most likely going to your government. 

• Jethro, are you in Canada?

This reply was deleted.

Activity