Is 3DR 433mz telemetry safe ?

Hello guys,

As I do not know much about communication protocols, this is maybe a basic question...

For a classic Futaba 2.4ghz remote control and receiver for instance, I know that no-one else can just come and hack into my plane, on purpose or not, as the necessity of binding both tx and rx makes it secure.

Is this the same for telemetry ? I have been using it for a while now, and it is great although I could not have a decent range.

My worry is that I am not using any binding procedure, it just works out of the box.

Does that mean that I should not fly with my telemetry along with another guy when he is also using the same telemetry settings (Net ID) ? Or that anyone can come with a tablet and a 3DR telemetry, with a better antenna than mine, and take control of my plane ?

Or is there some sort of transparent binding, preventing from taking existing working frequencies, and I could fly along with five other people and do not worry about it ?

Thank you very much

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• look at this:

http://store.rfdesign.com.au/rfd-900p-modem/

coming with encryption !!!!!!!

RFD 900+ Modem
    RFDesign designs and manufactures the Antennas, RF Electronics and the RFD900 radio modem
    • Great, hope they will do it also for 433 as 900 is prohibited in my country.

• I look forward to review it, or hack it - whichever comes most easily.  Due to complexity of proper certificate generation and application, where user fidelity comes first - solutions that sell "security" using fancy words like AES128 (cipher) often sin when it comes to secret keys. 

Just look at wireless keyboards, very many like to encrypt with AES128 - very few do it half-ways , none do it right /(as that would require user to generate own, truly random keyset (not like NSA-RSA)  :)

So the actual *encryption* is often not the practical vector of attack, as much cheaper(in terms of CPU power) options are available.

• Encryption option, not yet in use. Also, no mavlink optimization.
  • http://madhacker.org/?p=13 Will answer your question
This reply was deleted.

Activity