Is my hexa too fat?

Hi guys,

after my quad played Titanic last sunday, I was able to rebuild it in a very short time due to exceptional good service from Martin. In need for more payload I also extended to a hexa using standard parts from jdrones.

Now my question is: Are the standard 10x45 props able to handle a weight of about 2,3 kg? Or are 385 grams per prop too much? Because after my first test flight today I'm in doubt about that.

3690893889?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi girls and guys,

this time I have good news! My Hexacopter now seems to fly stable and reliable. No crash for the last ten batteries! Thanks a lot to the contributors for all the effort you put into this project and also a big thanks to the community which was and is very helpful for a newbie like me to get this thing flying in a successful manner. But there are still some things to tweak and although the machine seems to work now, the pilot doesn't that good. ;)

Johannes

• Hi guys, it's me again. I just had another maiden flight with my hexa and - as some of you might already guess - again it ended in a catastrophic crash. After 8 minutes of a really smooth flight in perfect weather conditions the copter suddenly rolled and crashed down on a tarmac road from maybe 6 meters. The funny thing is, that (because I have absolutely NO trust in that thing any more!) I hovered for about 7 minutes about 50 cm above a soft grass ground to check if everything is working, and then I decided to fly a bit higher. And of course I hit the only road in within a radius of some kilometers. ;-)

You can imagine how the copter now looks like.

After the last crash I installed six new motors + ESCs, some new arms, new landing gear and a complete set of those reinforced grey props. I checked everything: Soldering on PCB, all connectors, and reconfigured APM including resetting EEPROM. Sender, receiver and Lipos where tested in other models I'm flying.

So right now I'm a bit clueless. I'm just downloading logs, it would be nice if someone could have a look at it. Thanks in advance!

I really need help. :(

• Maybe I am wrong, but if you have a look at the picture it seems that there was some kind of crack first which became deeper and deeper until the whole prop broke. What do you think?

Personally, I think I need a break now. I spent pretty much time and money in this project and feel quite exhausted right now. I'm not a RC model guy, all I want is a stable platform for aerial photography. But results are not that promising for now. I don't know if it ever will become that trustworthy to me that I will attach a pricy camera to it. Maybe my expectations were wrong. :-(

• When did that happen ? i mean after some good minutes of flight  or cold start ?

I see you use 850kv with 10x45 black props and didn't do anything hard with the hexa

I had i think the same thing happen .. after 10 good minutes flight in a hard turn at fast run

im using 880kv and 12x45props .. same payload as you (roughly) and my props seemed correctly balanced

You can see a video here (the second)

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/hexa-arducopter-2-0-42-my-first...

Maybe epoxy will do better . I bought a new set in 12x45 but didn't have time to try them; Their bend/resistance seem at least 2x stronger (empirical hand test) Will try soon

Keep us updated Johannes!

• Looks like prop hits to something in flight?

Some wobbling too before that. 

So weak propeller, sounds stange.

• I was flying almost 2kg (1650g + 5000mah battery) all up weight on the weekend on my quad, with 10x45 props. I've not had any issue with them breaking on me when they shouldn't, except for one time.

That one time was after crashing from 20-30 ft. There was no visible damage, so I tried flying again, and just hovering one of the props snapped on me. My thought is that perhaps you reused some props from the crash?

• I thought the new algorithm would prevent a hexa falling down like that ??

Even with my 1.3kg quad I wouldn't use 10x4.5 standard props. I would use at least APC 10x4.7 !!!

Very strong and never broke during flight.

This reply was deleted.

Activity