Is my USB port damaged?

First, Thanks for enrolling me in this Forum.

Second, apologies for a rather long winded first post, and also if this has been asked elsewhere but I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem

I have an Open Source CX-20/Nova with APM 2.5 FC. with Firmware 3.1.5

Here's the problem!......The Question is at the end.

I installed telemetry using the the "solder to resistor" method mention in various places on the net, and it's all working fine.
I've connected to Mission Planner on my PC.....everything's OK, as it is when connected to "Droid Planner" on my tablet.

I read a recent post in the forum, that someone had modified the code of APM 3.2 firmware, to make it possible to connect telemetry via the UART pads, which of course would be a better idea since it would allow soldering a socket to the pads.

Also, while reading the forum, APM 3.2 appears to be a worthwhile upgrade, not-withstanding the fact that the resistor method is the only way to connect telemetry without the modified code.

That's where my problem comes in.

I tried to upgrade the firmware via mission planner with the telemetry connected, and the message was, that I'd have to disconnect the link. I presumed correctly, that this would mean upgrading via USB.

I disconnected from MP, and plugged the USB cable in, forgetting to remove the telemetry radio. If I recall, ...... somewhere in another forum, it was stated the USB and telemetry can't be used together as they use the same serial port.

Now I can't update the firmware, change the params or load saved params.

When I connect to mission planner via USB, it gets stuck on "GETTING PARAMS".

When I connect using 3DR, MP gets all parameters, and I can change anything, except I cant update firmware to 3.2 via radio.

If I cancel, "GETTING PARAMS", mission planner loads normally, but I'm not able to change any settings or re-flash the FC.

The Flight Data Panel works fine when connected via USB, so data is being passed.

THE BIG QUESTION AT THE END OF THIS IS.........Have I damaged the USB port, by having both telemetry, and USB plugged in together??

Hope someone can give me a pointer, as I don't seem to get the answer via GOOGLE, and it was suggested that the experts in these matters reside within this forum.

Apologies again for imposing at such an early stage.

Thanks in anticipation,

Ron

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Ron, 

Am I correct in thinking that you have the 3DR telemetry radio hard soldered to the APM, 

You need to disconnect the radio to be able to connect by USB, as you have said they share the same port and cannot both connect at once, but it shouldn't cause any damage to the APM if you have tried this.

I don't think that you can upload firmware by radio, this must be done using the usb cable.

Have you tried using the usb cable but don't press connect, then try to upload the firmware, the APM will connect itself and upload the version of firmware that you have chosen, you can roll back to an earlier version if that works for you.

Hope this helps you.

• You are correct, in the sense that I hard wired a cable to a pair of resistors adjacent to the Processor. The cable terminates in a plug with which I connect to the air radio. In other words, when the airborne radio is not connected, the USB port is not shared. The attachment shows the method of connecting the radio, in the absence of a socket..

I've not tried uploading firmware, without connecting the COM port, but that will be my next move......thank you.

The BIG problem, is when the APM is connected via USB through the com port (COM4 in my case), with the radio disconnected, Mission Planner can't read from, or pass parameters to the APM via USB. So I can't change any parameters that way. However, the FLIGHT DATA display behaves normally. i.e shows compass heading, altitude, R.O.C, attitude and GPS status.

Finally, Just a thank you for your opinion.

Telemetry connection.jpg

• Because it's not a 3DR APM it may not work in the same way as the genuine 3DR product does and I haven't any experience with your Nova Quanum.

If you can connect ok with telemetry to mission planner can you not read, load and save flight parameters this way.

What baud rate are you using for your usb connection, it should be 115,200, and 57,600 for telemetry. 

• I did try to connect to MP via USB without opening the COM port as you suggested,

MP went through the "Detecting board", "Reading Hex", but then stopped, reporting "Communication Error. No Connection".

So I guess the USB port is really B*+&*ered !!

I can connect with telemetry to Mission Planner, and load, save & change PARAMETERS, but not update firmware to latest(3.2).

The Baud rate for telemet. is 57600, and USB is correctly set at115200.

C'est la vie.

I'll live with it as it is. Some subscribers to rcgroups.com, who've bought the NOVA have upgraded to full APM FC, and I have offered to buy their redundant Nova FC. I'll see who comes up with an offer.

I DO want to go FULL APM myself, but I'm literally on the threshold of this UAV tech, having never used an APM in my Flying experience, having spent most of my time with 72mHz R/C.

I'm 74 now, and hope to have it licked before I get my free TV licence in case I'm tempted to vegetate.

Thanks again for your help Martin

This reply was deleted.

Activity