Joystick configuration saving problem

I cannot save joystick configuration on Mission Planer for my quadcopter? It identifies the joystick and all inputs can also be assigned in the joystick window but cannot save it and does not show on it on radio calibration window. The radio calibration show inputs only from the regular radio (TX). I am using APM 2.5 and latest version of the Mission planner. I have tried many joysticks following the documented procedure but no success. Any suggestion to resolve this issue please?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Karl, initially it was very frustrating for me also but when Minh told me that the tow joystick files are to be

copied from MyDocuments to where the Mission Planner is installed then it was no more an issue. But I got stuck again while selecting the flying "modes" and then again Minh helped me to get this resolved. At then I had took notes of all the steps with images that now I will try to mention here under (though my English is not very good but I will try to explain all the steps):

1. Click the "Actions" tab in the Mission Planner and then click the "Joystick" tab as in the image 1. (the joystick should have already be connected to the computer).

3702325083?profile=original

2. Clicking the "Joystick" tab will open another window shown here as image 2. at the top left of this window name of your joystick should be visible (the blue one here).

3702324949?profile=original

If not then select it through the down arrow (if it is not available under the down arrow then your Windows is not recognizing the joystick)

3. At the upper part of this window (image 2) for Roll, Pitch, Throttle Rudder etc. select X, Y, Z, Slider1 etc. trough the respective down arrow or you can click the "Auto Detect" and then moving the joystick in the respective direction to select.

4. At the lower portion of this window the buttons can be configured. For Button 1, Button 2, Button 3 etc. select 0, 1, 2 etc.through the respective down arrow or do it through the "Auto Detect" by clicking it and then pressing the respective button on the joystick.

5. Now you have to assign the actions to the buttons from the down arrow marked as "ChangeMode".

There are 14 actions under this down arrow including Do commands, Arm, Disarm etc. (as shown for Button 3 in image 3) that you can directly select here and the selected action will replace the ChangeMode.

(I would suggest not to assign Arm and Disarm to any buttons as it can be achieved by moving the the joystick fully down+right and fully down+left respectively).

3702325120?profile=original

6. To my surprise the flying modes are not available under the ChangeMode down arrow. To assign a flying mode to a button you need to click the "Settings" tab. This will open another window (image 4) where under the down arrow all the flying modes are available. Click the desired mode (as in image 4) to be assigned to the respective button and close this window (window image 4). Apparently nothing will change but don't worry, the clicked mode has been saved for the respective button. Repeat this for the remaining modes that you want to assign to the other buttons.

7. Finally when this all is done, copy the two mentioned joystick files from MyDocuments folder to the folder where the Mission Planner is installed and you are done. (Whenever you make any changes to the joystick configuration, don't forget to copy these two files again). 

3702325156?profile=original

• Hello to both Anwar and Minh.  I also have the smake issue, I'm unable to save the joystick settings in the latest version of MP.  I am using a APM 2.5 just like Anwar and using the Logitech F710 joystick.  I have copied both joystickaxisArducopter2.xml and joystickbuttonsArducopter2.xml files to C:\Program Files\Mission Planner.  But I do not have the sucess as Anwar have.  Other than coping these files from C:\Users\admin\My Documents\Mission Planner...was there another step?

Thanks K

• Yes it works. Apparently nothing is changed so I thought it is not working. But the modes clicked against the buttons are saved accordingly. Thanks.

• If you want to access flight modes through the "Setting" menu then select the first line "ChangeMode" in the first drop down menu.

• Yes it works after copying those two files from "My Documents" to where the Mission Planner is installed, many thanks for getting me this done. The issue left now is that for the buttons only the options under the drop down menu (under the arrow) can be selected which includes Arm, Disarm etc. but the flying modes which can be accessed through the "Settings" menu cannot be selected.

• Then you need to copy files to the directory where Mission Planner was installed because MP retrieves those files from there. 

• I am waiting for the weekend to check it if the files are available in the "My Documents" folder.

Another issue is that my Mission Planner is not installed under the C;\Program Files. But to my surprise it is installed in the second drive (D) where I had initially download the software.

• Can you save the joystick configuration in the end?

• OK, I will check and try that, many thanks.

Minh Tran Quang said:

I think this is an error of MP, it saves joystick configuration in one place but initializes in another place. In my case, it saves joystick configuration in joystickaxisArducopter2.xml and joystickbuttonsArducopter2.xml files in folder C:\Users\admin\My Documents\Mission Planner\ but initializes with those files in C:\Program Files\Mission Planner. My solution at the moment is to copy these 2 files to C:\Program Files\Mission Planner. There still may be some error in saving content, but I didn't check carefully enough. I also have questions relating to joystick: that is how I can use D-pad keys to control things?

• I think this is an error of MP, it saves joystick configuration in one place but initializes in another place. In my case, it saves joystick configuration in joystickaxisArducopter2.xml and joystickbuttonsArducopter2.xml files in folder C:\Users\admin\My Documents\Mission Planner\ but initializes with those files in C:\Program Files\Mission Planner. My solution at the moment is to copy these 2 files to C:\Program Files\Mission Planner. There still may be some error in saving content, but I didn't check carefully enough. I also have questions relating to joystick: that is how I can use D-pad keys to control things?

This reply was deleted.

Activity