Distributor

LidarLite working correctly? - SOLVED

Hi

I am trying to set up a LidarLite sensor from PulsedLight.

I set it up according to the wiki (new sensor, manufactured Feb 2015, interfaced with a Pixhawk)

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-optional-hardware/common-rangefinder-landingpage/common-rangefinder-lidarlite/

In the wiki it points to the Flight Data Screen to test the sensor,

but I only get zero as reading in this window.

But if I check in the terminal,

I can see that the sensor is working (see attached file),

so is it working ok? Is the wiki wrong?

Thanks a lot,

Felix

Capture.JPG

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hallo Felix,

was war die Ursache mit dem LIDAR von Stephan?

Ich habe genau das selbe Problem. Ich moechte nur wissen, ob das LIDAR Lite eventuell kaputt ist, damit ich es zurueckschicken kann, wenn absolute keine Werte herauskommen. Installation ist genau nach Wiki und als PWM. Ich habe vorher Sonar installiert und es hat immer funktioniert. LIDAR geht nicht!

Stephan hat mir leider nicht geholfen.

Cheers

Fred in NZ

• Distributor

Hi Fred

(I answer in English so that others can understand it as well if they look for answers)

the sensor was connected to MAIN OUT 5 & 6 - and not to AUX OUT 5 & 6 (which is the correct way for PWM).

Regarding your sensor:

- you have built an adapter cable, including the required resistor?

- you supply 5V to the output rail of the Pixhawk?

- you use AC 3.3 as firmware?

Felix

• Thank you for the reply, Felix.

I can answer all your questions with Yes. ( 470 ohm resistor)

There is a Zener diode at the rail preventing spikes because I have 5v attached before as a backup for the pixhawk.

That has worked always but could the Zener diode the problem?

• Distributor

Hi Fred

the Zener diode shouldn't cause problem - you could remove it to check - to eliminate it as a possible source of the problem ... but it should be ok.

I attach the parameter file of one of my copters (it has the Lidar sensor installed - and working), you can use the "compare" function in Mission Planner (under "full parameter list") to compare my settings with your settings - to see if a parameter regarding the Sensor is different and maybe causes the problem.

Alternatively you could save your own parameter file and upload mine (don't fly with it, cause all your gyros, compass etc. calibration will be wrong) - but you should be able to see if the Lidar sensor is working (if you get sonarrange data).

Felix

X4 Copter.param

• Felix, I am going to check the param. but just let me get this absolutely right.

In the first reply to me you write:

The sensor was connected to Main Out 5& 6. --- I assume that was the answer what the problem was with Stephan.

I have used AUX OUT 5&6 as shown in wiki. (WHICH IS THE CORRECT WAY FOR PWM) you replayed.

Could you please confirm that I got that right.

• Sorry Fred for not getting back to your question earlier.
                  Yes as Felix already said, my mistake was to connect to the wrong output. Having corrected this along with the parameters set as described in the Wiki the Lidar works fine now.

And btw a BIG thank you to UAV Store and Felix for patiently helping me on my user error- that's what I call customer service!
                • Distributor

yes - the sensor has to be connected to AUX5 and AUX6 for PWM

3702928749?profile=original

Youtube SetUp Video

• Hi Felix

Sorry coming back to you so late.

Tonight I have tried with my second Pixhawk setup ( both trad. Helicopters)

and it worked by the first attempt.

Same setup, same cable, same LIDAR.

Still have to find  the reason why it did not work with the other  unit.

I herewith thank you very much for you help and time.

Fred

• Thanks for the quick replies.

I have watched that video during my installation as well.

We are coming here close to midnight soon. I will let you know what I find tomorrow.

Thanks a lot

Fred

• Thanks Felix.

Yes, I followed your video and I connected to the right ports.

I will send it in by the weekend. Your help is much appreciated!

Best Stephan

This reply was deleted.

Activity