Hi,
I am looking to use the pixhawk for a large aircraft (3m wing tip to wing tip) and am looking to place the telemetry module, antenna (spektrum antenna) and GPS/Magnetometer module at one of the wing tips. Would there be any issues with having 1.5m long cables for the magnetometer(I2C), spektrum antenna and 6 pin cable for the GPS? It will also cross close to a 60A ESC. 
My tests so far have indicated that the ESC itself should not cause significant coupling with the cables themselves but I am unsure as to the losses and/or RF radiation from the 1.5m cables. Thoughts? 
Regards,
Anand

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi,

I am not sure about the I2C and GPS cables, but as they carry digital signals, there probably is no problem. Adding an external shielding (wire mesh or other) connected to the ground should avoid major interferences in long cables.

The antenna cable is another case entirely. There is attenuation in the cable, which depends on the cable shielding and length. You can get cables with low loss, but they will be heavier. In terms of the length, it should be a multiple of the radio frequency wave-length to minimize the losses, and of course longer the cables have more signal attenuation.

The ESC might increase the noise level in the cables. I had a yaw gyro on my T-Rex that would display different bias, depending on the current passing in the cables from the battery to the ESC. A common mitigation solution for the ESC pwm cables is to loop them a couple of times around a magnet, but I don't think that would solve the issue from the power cables.

The structure of the aircraft around the cables can also provide some shielding against radio noise, depending on the material it is made of.

Cheers,

Ricardo

• Thanks Ricardo!

I agree that digital signals should be fine as long as ohmic loss isnt large. The antenna cable I talked about is actually the remote receiver extension cable :http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM9012

I misspoke in that regard and this extension should also be digital and therefore OK as long as the length isnt too long for significant attenuation to be a problem.

With respect to shielding, I was thinking of using twisted cables to minimize RF as much as possible and then apply wire mesh in areas that may be problematic.

Regards,

Anand

Remote Receiver Extension 12-inch (SPM9012): Spektrum - The Leader in Spread Spectrum Technology
      • Or even use aluminium foil to wrap around sensitive areas and then run a ground wire to the receiving end.

• Yes, that seems like a good approach.

Cheers,

Ricardo

This reply was deleted.

Activity