Lynxmotion V Tail Configuration and ArduCopter

Hi guys,

I wanted to ask whether the Lynxmotion V Tail 500 is supported by ArduCopter or not.

As you can see the airframe consists of two motors plus a V Tail with both inverted motors. Since I don t want to buy the MultiWii suggested by Lynxmotion but the ArduCopter I'd like to know whether the configuration is possible or not.

Thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I was able to get my V-tail 500 flying with pixhawk because there is now a frame type "4" aka v-tail preset basic configuration. The only problem I had was having to reverse motors 2 and 4 the back ones because it wouldn't work the other way around the way they were supposed to be hooked up. 

I only flew it once and it worked pretty good without tuning or anything. I did however tear my vtail down and build it back up modified with longer legs etc and am having some sort of issue with it again not wanting to take off straight up, just kinda tilts over to the side if I throttle up. But to answer your question as stated above it is possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J5duMmv2gs

• Wow!

Interesting.

When you say: "I had to reverse the motors" do you mean:

- I inverted the sense of rotation just swichting the wires (and using other propellers to generate force in the right direction)

- I inverted the installation of the motors because didn't fit into the frame as were supposed to.

Regards and merry christmas!

• Had to reverse the servo wires going to the pixhawk, swap connectors 2 and 4. At the time I contacted the guy who submitted the vtail config for inclusion into arducopter software and he said he was pretty sure he had it right but the dev flipped them when he included it. So he suggested the connection swap and that solved the problem I had prior of take off and spinning out of control.

Not sure what the current status is on the matter though. I've got my vtail put back together and going to to be trying to do some more flying and testing if the rain will go away for a few days, I'll let you know how it goes with the latest 3.2 beta and whether I still have to swap motor 2 and 4 connections.

• Thanks,

one question more. Did yu try the controller provided by Lynxmotion?

Or you had configured your V Tail with Arducopter?

Regards

I'm willing to buy the same model, but I would not buy more than one controller.

• I only ever put a pixhawk on it. I didn't have super high expectations since it wasn't officially supported / only recently supported. I actually bought the pixhawk for a hexacopter I'm working on but thought I would try it on the vtail when I saw vtail support got added to arducopter.

I did preorder the new lynxmotion controller to try on it in the future, think it ships mid-late january. I have seen plenty of other videos and stuff with people using the officially recommended / supported controllers on the vtail frames without issue. Just seems the pixhawk vtail support is very basic / in it's early stages. I don't see why pixhawk couldn't work better with vtail with some more work / tweaking done but it's been months since vtail frame option was added but they still haven't bothered adding it to the GUI. Still have to change the frame type after loading firmware in the config tweak tab and there is no icon etc. Considering that I don't have much hope for further vtail support on pixhawk any time soon that's why I'm putting it to the side and will revisit it when I get the new controller later on. The Quadrino Nano. It's special pre order price of 99$ atm down from 149$ and includes gps and everything else, figured worth a shot. Will use my 2 pixhawks for my new quad I'm building and hexa.

• HI Tim,

did you get the lynxmotion controller? How flies?Would you suggest it as a standard controllerf?

I ordered my VTail 500 but it gets a couple of months to get delivered.
               As a controller I bought the Quadrino, because: it had 40% discount and second I want to be sure, that the quadrotor flies at first stable and without problems. Changes are planned once I m pretty sure, that the frame and all the stuff work.

• Yea no. I guess they had some more delays because I still haven't received the new controller I preordered. For now my vtail is sitting till the new controller ships.

• Hi Tim,

I got the V-Tail and the Quadrino Nano as a controller. I could assembly the frame of the copter yesterday. Really well done...I found the quality of the product very good.

Now...I don't understand how to connect the electric parts and the controller. Do you have just read the guidelines from lynxmotion or you needed to search in internet for more detailed informations?

Regards

• HI Dave,

We put a QuickStart online for the Quadrino Nano and the FCT (Firmware Configuration Tool) is also there to download.

http://www.lynxmotion.com/s-4-electronics-guides.aspx#UAV

There are more manuals to come with detailed information on the FCT and WinGUI. And the FCT is a constant work in progress to give the best possible application to our customer. 

One upgrade that should happend this week is a Copter setup page revised and able to generate Starting PID based on some parameters. An animated copter will help with propeller rotation as well as pinout.

@Tim: Send me a private message so we can look what's happening with your Pre-Order in the system.

Eric Nantel - DiaLFonZo

FCT - BETA.png

Lynxmotion - Electronics Guides
                    Electronics Guides
This reply was deleted.

Activity