Mavlink Doesn't Connect

Hi there,

I can’t get the APM Planner 1.0.55 to connect via the MAVLink all weekend. I’m running APM V2.22 firmware. Running Windows 7 64 bit.

What I’ve done so far to try and troubleshoot this issue:

1.)    With IMU switch in position 0 (toward the servo pins) I’ve ran the GPS test using the CLI. I have GPS lock (running MediaTek 1.6 GPS) and checked the coordinates. The coordinates are accurate (my house).

2.)    I moved the switch back to position 1 toward the GPS port and made sure the baud rate is 115200. Unplugged USB cable and plugged it back in and tried to connect via MAV Link. 30 seconds pass and I get the time out message.  (My first test demonstrates I have the GPS plugged into the right port and have an accurate GPS lock.)

3.)    I’ve reinstalled the com port, reloaded the firmware, and updated my planner.

4.)    Made sure “Set RTS on Close” is checked under the com port properties.

5.)    Downloaded FTDI Drivers and attempted to update drivers but my Windows 7 says the best driver is already installed.

6.)    I’ve tried plugging in my LiPo battery first, waiting for GPS lock and then connecting.

7.)    I’ve download the Happy Kilmore GCS and tried to connect. The status read “Connected on COM4 at 115200 but the GPS Type reads “0.00%”. It never moves past this point.

8.)    I’ve read other posts on this forum to see what other people did in the past and I’ve spent many hours trying to get this working and I just can’t get it to work.

What is working at this point?

1.)    CLI connection in switch position 0 works every time.

2.)    Radio communication works

3.)    IMU sensors are working (gyros, pressure, accelerometers, gps).

4.)    Modes work. Running on battery power alone I can switch to different modes and see APM take over and move the servos, engine, ect.

Any ideas on how to get APM Planner to connect via MAVLink at this point are more than welcome.

Thank You,

Jeff Johnson

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello. I have a similar problem. I can upload firmware with APM and use the terminal mode just fine. But when I try to connect to see things in the GUI I get and error about not finding the heartbeat not being found. I have also checked the RTS box in advanced settings.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit.

Any ideas?
  •  

Mavlink is now mysteriously working. I wish I could share some specific fix for other who may run into this but it just started working on my laptop for some reason. I don’t know why or how long it will last… So at this point I’m attaching updating screenshots for what Chris asked for and the tlog file that Michael asked for previously. Not sure if this is useful information at this point but at any rate here it is…

APM-Output1.png

APM-Output2.png

11-08-24 03-28-23.tlog

• Well, fortunately I was able to rule out the APM Hardware and APM Planner as potential sources of this problem. I moved my desktop PC into a part of my house that allowed my APM board to get a GPS lock and I can connect via the MAVLink and use the APM Planner via my desktop just fine.

So the problem is with my laptop… but I still can’t figure out what it is. Given this information does anyone have any suggestions? I’ve already spent a few more hours fooling with the drivers and settings. I’ve basically mirrored them to my desktop’s settings but it hasn’t produced a fix.

Jeff Johnson

• I see what you mean about the GPS missing. I tried it again this morning and this time I do see the GPS. I’m not sure where you are seeing the ?G though. Do you mean where it reads ??***UL right after the Init Accel part?

Also, if I go under the show settings while in setup mode switch position 0 and run show settings, the 010 IMU_SENSOR_CAL reads “:??”. Not sure if there is any correlation but figured I mention it.

I don’t have an FTDI cable but I’ll see if I can pick one up from the local radio shack. If not I’ll get one on order from the web.

Jeff

terminal_while_in_fly_mode2.png

• Thank You for the quick replies. I’ve attached the screenshots Chris and Michael asked for. The tlog files all appear to be empty. There is one that is 1KB in size but it just a few random characters in the file.

Chris - Yes I've loaded the coded from MP but I've also tried using Arduino. The last load I did was from MP though.

John – I did try adjusting the telemetry rates you mentioned but it did seem to have any effect.

Thanks again for helping me figure this out.

Jeff

APM_Console_Output.png

terminal_while_in_fly_mode.png

tlog_files.png

Hi,
    Have you tried turning down the telemetry rates in the planner tab under config? Also, I had trouble with the Mavlink connecting popup while connecting after enabling video in the HUD with .55. The popup wouldn't countdown or go away.
  • Developer

Jeff, can you post a screenshot of the terminal screen while in "fly" mode
    and also the tlog file from the connect attempt, which should be in the "logs" directory where the main planner exe is.

Michael

• 3D Robotics

Turn on the monitor window (check box on help tab), restart the MP and post a screenshot of what it says when you're trying to connect.

I assume you loaded the code via the MP?

This reply was deleted.

Activity