Hi to all,

Does anyone have any experience using the new MS Surface Pro 3 with Mission Planner? I'm purchasing a new 8X+ from 3DR and want to get a dedicated PC for my project and feel in the long run a PC would be more useful than a Nexus tablet. I know the Mission Planner is a Android based app system - but I've heard the Surface Pro can work within Android.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i just got a Nextbook 10.1 at Walmart for 180 + tax. This is a windows 8.1 10.1 inch with keyboard and intel atom quad processor. This will never be a gaming device but runs mission planner. it also has bluetooth which works with my homemade bluetooth telemetry bridge. Now this only has a micro USB  so i will have to get an OTG cable. I have a dell venue 8 pro but my fingers are to thick and my eyesight is to poor to read those small text while flying.

• My personal favorite at home on the desk or workbench is mission planner. APM is ok and runs on Mac and PC. In the field I'm really starting to like Droid Planner 2. Droid Planner can create way points based on a survey area. After shooting I then take my pictures and geocode gps data back to them with mission planner. Droid planner works on android which happens to be what my phone runs.

• Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response- I ended up purchasing a Dell PC from Staples seemed like a screaming good deal with a touch screen.

Unsure of your experience with 3DR, MP and FPV...I'm new-with all this however have R/C helicopter experience. My specific interests lie in orchard and crop surveying.

Wondered if you'd be interested in sharing a e-mail address and perhaps we can talk more specifically about getting me started off on the right foot...Thanks,Mike

• While trying to avoid purchasing something I won't use tomorrow and I'm new to this aspect of the R/C hobby...when talking specifically about 3DR-8X+ and considering an agricultural field management and aerial photography:

(1) Is Mission Planner the program to use?

(2) What's the difference between MP & APM?

Thanks, Mike  

• Yes it will work as long as it is not Windows RT. I use a Dell Venue 8 Pro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkXXYUwiJOY

YouTube
    • Hi Chris, I also have a dell venue 8 pro, it works with mission planer with wired connections but I get BSOD using telemetry. But telemetry works with my windows laptop and android (tower app) tablet.

• OK thanks - I'll go with the Surface Pro.
    • Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback. The Surface Pro is not R/T but has their regular Windows 8 OS system.

I like the fact your Dell has a regular version of Office installed where the Pro only has their rented 360 version.

On your Dell - did you need to download "Bluestack" or something else to use the Android apps to use Mission Planner?

Any other information is appreciated. Thanks, Mike

• Mission Planner is a Windows sw, not Android app

• What he said ^

Mission Planner is for Windows only. I do not run Droidplanner or APM Planner

This reply was deleted.

Activity