Hi all!

Total newbie here with PixHawk, etc.

I have my new hardware today (Pixhawk, GPS, 3DR Radios, etc). So I decide to connect it to my computer and start learning the software.

I have the PixHawk connected via the USB cable. It seems to work. Getting ready for a quad (FW450), I try to upload ArduCopter 3.13 Quad. It seems to flash the firmware ok. But when I reboot the PixHawk, I get the tones (musical, then two tones). But now I can't communicate with the PixHawk, no HUD info, etc. It also won't allow me to do much with the 'Initial setup', other than flash new firmware. I can't even see the 'Mandatory setup' buttons (when using APM Planner).

Now, if I choose ArduPlane 3.0.2 instead of ArduCopter 3.1.3, and try the same steps, it seems to mostly work, meaning when the flash is done, I seem to connect ok to the PixHawk, and the HUD on the Flight Data screen seems to work.

So I seem a bit lost. Why am I having problems? ;)

I have tried Mission Planner (1.3.1) as well as APM Planner. Both seem to have the same problems.

Since the problem changes, depending on if I choose ArduCopter, or ArduPlane, then it feels like an issue with the ArduCopter 3.1.3 firmware.

NOTE: I don't have my RC receiver connected yet. Could this cause issues like this? If so, why is ArduPlane acting differently.

Thanks for any hints or guidance.

Regards,

Rich

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Rich,

there's very little difference between your setup and mine. I, too, received my Pixhawk and GPS in June and went through the setup process on my dining room table with just a laptop, the PixHawk, safety switch, speaker and the GPS (no receiver or telemetry). I used a Windows 7 laptop, ArduCopter 3.1.5, and Mission Planner 1.3.4. I had an initial problem with Mission Planner recognizing the PixHawk during the firmware installation process. I tried APM planner to load the firmware and got the same problem but also received an error message indicating that the COM port was invalid. Seems that the first time you try to load firmware both programs try to us the lowest numbered COM port. In my case it was a bluetooth connection, the PixHawk was the next numbered COM port. So I deactivated bluetooth, loaded the firmware, and was able to connect as expected to the PixHawk. Since then I've reactivated bluetooth and loaded different versions of firmware from 3.5.1 to 3.2 using the latest version of Mission Planner trying to resolve the waypoint problem I was having without any of the problems you describe.

The only difference in the ArduCopter software I used is that I have a Hexacopter so I'm using the hex version. I've now finished the build, adding a receiver and telemetry radio, done all the tuning, and I've flown it a half dozen times with 3.5.1 without any Pixhawk or Mission planner problems.

You should be able to get it to work on a table top with just the Pixhawk, safety switch, speaker, and USB cable to your laptop. No other power is needed. Adding more equipment just adds more possibilities for problems. If you have another USB cable try it.  If you can't get that configuration to work, it's time to call 3DR support to see if you have a problem with the PixHawk or the USB cable.

• Hi Phil,

I'm glad to hear that your pixhawk is working. Mine seems to have a problem with 3.1.x firmware. I have now flown my FW450 using 3.2 RC1 and RC2 and it seems to work fine.

Considering that I can load almost any version of firmware onto the PixHawk, then I believe that I have the correct COM port for the mission planner interface.  It's just that the pixhawk, after rebooting the 3.1.x firmware, won't completely start, there is no heartbeat LED, etc.  If I run 3.2.x firmware, then it works ok.

I did talk to 3DR support and they confirmed some sort of issue (they did not elaborate about the nature of the issue), but told me to carefully use my pixhawk 3.2 RCx until the final is released.

Perhaps yours is working with the hex firmware? I don't know. Mine will work if I pick arduplane 3.1.x, but not arducopter 3.1.x. I don't remember if I also tried the hex firmware, but at this time it seems that 3.2.x (currently RC2) is working for me, but I must be careful to avoid the known (and possible unknown) bugs with it.

• I also had problems with the hex firmware but the Y6 works fine with my PixHawk

• I'm not trying to promote!  I'm just trying to help.  like I said I'm new to Pixhawk and I was stuck for 8days trying to connect after installing firmware to arducopter in mission planner 1.3.1.  if you would look at my first two videos, if that's the problem than I don't know if it would help you but it did for me.  also I'm not trying to stir anything so I wont reply back to this post

• Admin

MG,

If you need to promote your or some one else product ,then feel free to do it so in Buy & sell section. Pls do not divert a thread from its original intention. I don't see how a external RGB light adapter comes into play for firmware issue. If you think it has major relevance then create new blog or discussion forum post with your findings and details and post. Will get it approved. thanks

• MG, This is a thread about the issues with the PixHawk and firmware 3.1.3 and 3.1.4.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO1A06FxH4I

Im still working on it

• wired I disconnected the usb adapter and used the regular USB and its still working.  I have no idea what made the jump other than the usb adapter

• I had the same problem and hopefully it stays that way because I just connected the Pixhawk RGB USB Module External LED that i bought on ebay  and its working, ill keep you posted

• I'm not sure why you hope the firmware remains not working with PixHawk.

Perhaps this is just a SPAM message that should be removed?

3DR has an external LED module that works just fine (as does their external USB connection), but none of these solve these firmware issues.

This reply was deleted.

Activity