I am  a newbie who needs to task a basic question.. Can I fly if I purchase the the basic frame kit.. motors and Ecs, ( plus batery of course)  as advertised on the web site.. OR do I also need to buy the APM 2.5 controller card to fly? Or is the APM 2.5 only used for more advanced flying?

Thanks for helping

Mark

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Could you please tell me what is the name of those controller boards from Hobby King ??

Many thanks

• Thanks for the input guys. much appreciated

• Tony has a good point, plus is sucks to crash your expensive new vehicle!

There are some neat micro-copters out there from hobbyking that will help you learn to fly without the above mentioned danger. Also, might consider going into your local hobby shop and using their flight simulator demo if they have one to practice up and at least get a basic feel for flying a heli/quad.

Like jasonshort mentioned, you will need something do to motor mixing/stabilization. The APM is does this, as well as many other functions such as autopilot, stabilize, etc. If you're looking to save money and do not need these advanced functions, you can purchase inexpensive controllers.

When I started out, I built a frame and used a Hobby King controller for $19.00. It worked, but when I upgraded to a APM it was like switching from a Geo metro to a Cadillac. Besides the autopilot capabilities, it simply works so much better. The gyros are better, the response it better, and it can be configured to suit your application.

• I feel we must emphasize the following:  If you are new to RC, it is best not to start with four flying weed eaters tied together.  These are not toys.  They can be dangerous.  It would be best to start with something small like a Blade mQX or a micro-heli.

With that said, I'd never try and stop anybody from doing whatever they wish to do.

• Developer

You need some kind of flight controller to do the motor mixing and stabilization. There are some very cheap ones out there if you just want to fly and upgrade later to an APM for autonomous flight.

Jason

This reply was deleted.

Activity