NIR and NDVI Related UAV Mapping

I want to have a discussion here related to various methods of collecting NIR imagery in support of generating Vegetation Index data such as NDVI, specifically with regards to using OTS digital cameras or modified digital cameras.

In general there are two approaches:

1. Single Camera in which one of the 3 bands captures NIR instead of visible light
  2. Dual Camera One camera captures R,G,B and another captures only NIR

NDVI requires a visible band (usually Red or in the case of single camera NDVI, Blue) and an NIR band.

I've been working on a single camera NDVI mapping solution using canon P&S. Testing, testing, testing, and posting results at  www.flightriot.com

Please offer any guidance, suggestions, experience, or questions related to using NIR imagery in UAV aerial mapping. 

I look forward to the discussion.

IMG_0215_NDVI_Color2.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi John,

Brilliant!~ this is exactly what I mean and want!! 

Kun

• Great! These recent comments on a thread may be useful. No doubt there are more with lots of searching.

• Hi Brenden, 

I am doing the samething in Beijing, China as well. I am a newbie in the area and I hope to keep in touch with you guys. Now, I am planning to carry out a commercial strategy. And sell those images and services to government and farmers. 

Best wishes,

Kun

• Hey Brenden,
    Looks like we've got pretty similar setups. I started flying my skywalker with two cameras so I could create a four-band image. Shadows are pretty much the enemy in my mind, so I fly both cameras at the same time to keep the images as consistent as possible. I made a couple pods out of foam core board and mounted them to the fuselage on some metal rods that I installed just below the wing mount.

Great site by the way!
    -Colni
This reply was deleted.

Activity