Non-uniform geometry of a quadcopter

I am about to embark on quadcopter mark 2 but before wasting materials i would like to share my idea to find out if it is ridiculous and destined to not be flyable/stable.
The idea is to move away from a uniform 90 degree cross airframe and instead swing the 2 front arms apart by an additional 20-30 degrees and also extend these front arms a little, so as to increase the free space between the front rotors. This should all help to take forward facing photos without seeing the front rotors in the picture.

3690857845?profile=original 

Can anyone see problems with this mod? Will it confuse the attitude code?

Weight distribution is also a concern, having a 500g camera on the front of the payload area, but I'm hoping Jason's new auto-trim code will help to correct this.

Thanks, Bill

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the replies, they have been really helpful. ArdupiratesNG has the clean mixer table code which will hopefully find it's way into ACM as at this stage ACM does not have the mixer layer of abstraction.

I will build the airframe and see how it flies with the different codebases.

• There are similar aircraft already in the air, so it's definitely possible. All you really need to do to get it flying is adjust your mixertable and go.
  • Weight distort not a problem, might want to use smaller motors in the rear.
    I estimate that at zero loading of the rear props, the ability to respond is zero, so I would avoid significant load shifting, in addition. Longer arms will increase roll moments from their props, so the counter roll torsion will require asymmetric power, introducing new torque moment. I would therefore suggest twisting asymmetric arms such that the wider or larger prop cancels some of its induced torque.
This reply was deleted.

Activity