Notification: My Community Support Ending

Hello everyone, I feel the time has come to make an announcement, which I've been avoiding for a few weeks now, but which I can't put off anymore.

As some people are aware (and some maybe not) for a little over a year I have been doing development work and community support as a full time job, with the generous support of 3DRobotics.  This represented a major shift in the direction of my career from industrial mechanical engineering, to this burgeoning field of aerial robotics.  However, 3DR has decided to discontinue that support.  As the project has grown in scope and complexity, the overhead time requirements just to stay on top of program development and developer group communications has grown with it.  Prior to the support provided by 3DR, I was moonlighting while maintaining a "day job" outside of the industry, but that ended up burning me out and I won't go back to that situation.

This has led to me scrambling to figure out what to do next in order to pay the bills, etc.  I actually saw the writing on the wall several months ago and began working in the direction to solidify my future in this industry, but the change happened a little before I was ready.

In any case, regretfully I must announce that my efforts to directly support the community, answering questions, analyzing logs and doing general improvements to the code will be ending.  I am committed to seeing AC3.3 finally go Stable for Tradhelis, and updating the Wiki to be up to date with this.  But beyond that, I'm not sure how much I'll be able to help out.

My hope is to produce revolutionary new turn-key UAV helicopter systems and use them for professional services, or 3rd party sales.  If I can make this transition, I will likely continue to do Alpha testing on new AC code and contribute new features.  I have almost completed design of an excellent new 700 helicopter design, and hoped to do a proper 500 size helicopter for mapping after that, but likely won't have the cash to bring these to market on my own at this point.  Unfortunately, due to timing, I may be entering into development contracts with other companies which will be a bit more "closed" in nature.

It is my hope that the community can get to the point where it is self-supporting.  We already have several members who are quite successful with helicopters, and are still coming around to help others, and that is encouraging.  Hopefully this can continue to grow.  I don't want to see Helicopter support in the code die.  Helicopter mechanics are largely a "solved problem", and this platform delivers superior combination of flight performance.  VTOL of a multirotor, range and speed similar to many of the foam airplanes used today, and absolutely unmatched stability and weather tolerance, while carrying payloads greater than any platform of similar size. And Ardupilot is the only full-featured autopilot system that will fly a UAV helicopter, unless you purchase military-grade autopilot systems. I feel, and I think the worldwide UAV community agrees, that Ardupilot is the most reliable, full-featured, high performance and cost effective autopilot system available.  The fact that it is truly open source, distributed under a GPLv3 license means that is flexible, extensible and capable of meeting the needs of all users, big and small, while reflecting a share-and-share-alike mindset.  And I don't need to tell you guys that Ardupilot is flexible and cost effective on the hardware side as well, capable of running on a wide variety of hardware systems from many companies offering differing capabilities to meet various user needs.  This could be anything from tinkerers and hobbyists, to small service companies, UAV builders, academics and research groups.  It's important that the project continues to keep UAV technology accessible to all, and not be locked down by big corporations or governments.

Best Regards,

Rob

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Should we start a concerted effort to bring new controllers and their GC's to the forefront?  Seems it would be in our best interest to have some choices in a year or so.  Or do we think PX4 and APM will be with us for the next 5 years?

• Many people would like to see the Pixhawk 1 design remain in production for some time.  Particularly commercial hardware vendors who have incorporated into their own products.  They don't want to have to go through reengineering for nothing.

The design is stable, and not obsolete in any way.  Not really any good reasons to discontinue it.

It can co-exist with other newer designs such at the Pixhawk 2 and PixRacer, just happily.

• Just wondering.... Is Tower and all the testers of that going to benefit in the future in the DIY realm or simply Solo? I think it's safe to say many testers have paid a price working with that platform and helping to get it right. In fact if ever there were a time and place for testers it was with DP and Tower.  It's awesome!!! But will it be in the future for the DIY crowd or simply Solo? 

ps sorry Rob perhaps this isn't the place for this question but it seems relevant in the general premise of your thread. 

• Developer

Tower is the MAV Link compatible GCS. Solo has it's own Andorid and iOS apps

• okay I stand corrected I thought it was based on DP / over. 

• Rob, Wow such a shame.  Sounds like the all too familiar story of someone who supported 3DR/3D Robotics to get them where they are today only to be left by the wayside.  Been there done that too.  Sorry to loose such a talented guy like yourself.  Good luck in your future endeavors.

• Hi @AKRCGUY,

Since this is a passion for me and I think it is to many others, I have to ask would you take the same view with any job?  Companies remunerate you for the work you have done.  Rob was lucky enough to get a role for a while, some would say it's a dream job to some degree (it would have had strings).  It was up to him to indicate what he's happy to do for what price, 3DR's choice to say it's good for them.  

Some workplaces we can become connected too but remember the only risk that Rob had was that he may loose his job, the owners of 3DR have accepted all the risk (and it appears they have strings too but from the investors).  Does it feel right to the person, maybe not but it's a fact of life.  People often fail to understand how many businesses fail, the money for that comes from people, it doesn't originate from thin air. 

I think both 3DR and Rob were lucky to find a good match.  I hope that Rob that you enjoyed the time in that role and hopefully bigger and better things come along.

• Hi Rob,

First of all, thank you very much for all the effort you put to help us out with all kind of issues.

I've lost my job two times, so i know what you're talking about.

The only thing to say is "good luck finding your new job and keep your head up"

• Hi Rob,

You and I have communicated over lots of things over the years and you are 100% the go to guy for Helis in the ArduPilot firmware.

You figured it out and you wrote it.

There is simply no one who could replace you, let alone the likelihood that anyone effectively will.

In my own involvement as primary Wiki editor and for a long time by far the primary contributor, I also ran into a lot of "barriers" and i am not the type to suffer what I feel to be incorrect actions very well, so I eventually resigned my position because of them.

The wiki survived quite well without me and eventually became a very useful resource.

In your case, I doubt the loss can ever be made up - you ARE helicopters for Ardupilot and that is all there is to it.

I think the reality is that 3DR is primarily interested in concentrating on multicopters as well as taking most serious development fully in house.

Sadly 3DRs involvement with Ardupilot is so fully intertwined that they exercise considerable influence over getting what they want from it and obviously do not feel obligated to further support helicopters.

Open Source is a great thing, but it's inevitable tie to profit seeking Corporations is both a boon and a serious Achilles Heel.

And right now you are getting quite literally stuck with that.

I know where you have been and what you have done and I know that you are a very - very bright guy.

Damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead!

Best Regards,

Gary

• Developer

I think, like many, Open Source, Free Software gets confused by people who invest their time and what it really means to be involved.

Free Software is predominately about freedom. That means you can at any point take something you depend upon and do with it what you will and go your own way. If your way is an army of paid developers and you morph it into something cool, that's ok (though the code will still be public domain i.e. your customer will have the same choices)

Open Source is similar, but more permissive as it allows you take something in the public domain and make it your own. You choose what you share, but in most cases sharing the core and making it stronger is better than just going it a alone. The power of a community of developers involved, exceeds the few.

And both of these where created to strengthen commercial goals. They strengthen the customer and keeps the supplier honest. And the customer need not worry about future support when supplier is no longer, and human endeavours and creations are not lost when suppliers fail. Customer are not held hostage when only one supplier wins.

There are other side effects of Open Source/Free Software that benefit developers as a community. We get to use and play with production quality code which would otherwise be hidden from view (this only makes better developers)

Another side effect is that customers can get involved in very early stages of a product (as in the case with ArduPilot) and essentially make it a reality. This just helps scratch and itch for the many makers that have been here on this journey to date.

The success of 3DR has been tied closely to this site and 3DR have invested hugely in making it happen for them. I wish them good luck for the future. 3DR seems to be focusing on how to make drones useful, here on this site we are very much focused on how do we make drones work (to make then useful)

There still lots of work to be done. And I am sure there are lots on opportunities ahead. I think DIYD as community needs to focus on what excites us, and I'm sure other companies will offer support going forward. We should stick true the mission of the site, which is to foster development of open source/free software/open hardware sUAVs/Drones/Autonomous Vehicles.

I personally don't think people leave Open Source, they are not jobs, but a passion.

This reply was deleted.

Activity