Octo-X, bicycle wheel design #2.

Q: will it fly?  fly well?
3690970923?profile=original

I'm prototyping my latest design - got my motor mounts put together.  Other than the plate in the middle, this is the only thing that isn't out-of-the-box... but could be made very simply if they prove to be robust enough:

3690970867?profile=original

Am now toying with a 4+4 octo design - with 4 motors pulling, and 4 motors pushing such that the props can overlap about 2cm at the tip, but because of the over/under design never actually come close to interfering.

3690970950?profile=original

This is a mountain bike wheel - for a 26" wheel - the OD measures 22.5" with props @ 24.5" diam.  

(am going to try using 4 pulling 880kv motors with 11x4.7 blades, and 4x850kv with 10x4.7 blades)

The next step up using the wheel design, with similar mounts, would be a road-bike wheel which measures 25"diam. and would have props @ 27"diam.

Here is the 2cm overlap from above:

3690970965?profile=original

I'm interested to know what behavior I might get with this combo - has anyone tried it?  Am I off my rocker?  Working on fixing up the center stack now.  I've flown a quad with this setup before... it worked pretty well when the ESCs weren't overheating for the hot day + heavy camera load.

Feedback very appreciated!

~jake

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Jake,
    Have you flown your 4+4 yet? Normally in the biking world, the rim is seen as nearly a non-structural element until it is laced with spokes. The idea looks very interesting. This may be an idea for my next hexa I'm trying to get a frame for. Do your four "spokes" to the wheel center help to constrain the flimsy rim I'd note that your mountain bike rim is likely much stiffer than most road bike rims would be, so yours is likely a good choice. I take it your rim is aluminum?
    I like your original thinking.
    Larry
  • Interesting.  I suppose one other option would be to mount the ESCs on the rim too, to prevent the spaghetti to the centre. You'd only need to wire out power wires and the little ESC signal wires. That would increase moment of inertia a bit though.

This reply was deleted.

Activity