Replies

• FYI, one ballpark figure for obtaining just the Lighter Than Air, Balloon flavor of Sport Pilot certification: $5,500.

• guys the faa will have a uav/uas license soon so this will not be necessary if just flying multirotors for business. but of course even if you have a uas/uav license you will still need the 333 exemption plus COAs if the blanket one in effect now does not serve you.

• Yeah, as Jay said, you are supposed to get an Exemption from the FAA. As far as permits go, that is usually a local thing depending on local laws and ordinances. So far they are rare, in most cases not required. Generally local governments are just blanket banning drone use because they are scared.

Good luck!

• yup. im in florida and Rick Scott signed a bill/law whatever that said you need permission to take any photos/video of homes. this seemed unreasonable at first but then it stated only if the reason you are using the uav is for surveillance. inadvertent photos im sure will not be an issue. 

• Thanks for all the replies. Is my understanding correct? I need to have pilot license to file for the Exemption Section 333 in order to have legal aerial photography business? I live in California, I believe we don't have any restriction from local government agency yet.

• incorrect. you do not need a pilots license to file. BUT, most likely if your exemption is approved, it will state you cannot fly unless the PIC (pilot in command) has a pilots license. so you can hire someone to fly your uav using your exemption. The exemption is for you or your business, not the PIC. again, the process could take months but by that time the faa should have a UAV license requirements ready for people. its like driving a car, some know how to drive but you need a license to be legal. 

• Thanks Jay ! I have better understanding now. Do you mind to share how much did you spend to file the Exemption?

• $500 using uavsa.org. Very helpful organization that seems to really care. contact them and you won't be sorry. They are swamped but have hired more staff to help out and they really know what they are doing. i was thoroughly impressed. i just filled out a form for an insurance quote as well. 

• This site helped me. Its a long process to get everything put together correctly. I got help to be honest. I've read the sport license is the lowest level you can get. Yes, right now, you need one but the faa should have uav license requirements soon. Good luck.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/how_to_fil...

This reply was deleted.

Activity