Pixhawk causing motor sync issues.

I believe I have a problem with my Pixhawk and was hoping for some help.  Also posted this on rcgroups.

The issue is that when my speed controllers are hooked up to the Pixhawk they exhibit a bad sync issue.  However when they are connected to my old APM (3.1) or just a receiver directly they do not exhibit these symptoms.  This has resulted in 4 crashes now until I just tonight narrowed down the issue to the Pixhawk.

Can anyone advise what is going on?  Here are the specs of my setup:

Afro 30A ESC's with SimonK firmware (have tried all versions, and made my own with various parameters)

Tiger MT2216-9 1100kv motors

4S 3700mah battery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7_gVoY8q8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTK81IANyUE

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Previous order has been cancelled. New motors have been purchased but they are backordered and will ship when available.

• My apologies, I pointed you to the wrong motors.  Mine are actually 2216-9 not the 2208-18 I sent you to.  You can find mine here: http://www.encorerc.com/tiger-motor-ms2216-9-1100kv-standard-motors/

• Developer

I'll let you know after we have done some of our own investigation.

• Thanks Craig, I appreciate the support, this has been a frustrating problem for me.  Is there still value for you in me breaking my quad down for testing?

• Developer
                    Lorenz and I have each ordered some of these exact ESCs and motors so we will be able to test them and see if we can reproduce and resolve the issue with them.
                • xoltri right.

The Afro HobbyKing esc (especially 30amp) are very popular in the world of multirotor and very used because it is of very good quality for a reasonable price. it also supports I2C controller for user Mikorokopter flight. 
                  it was esc have Developed in colaboration with SimonK and Hamasaki.

and I found a lot of evidence of person who encounters problem with Afro esc and pixhawk. this and it is a shame because for many popular person uses it with esc pixhawk. it would be nice pout you and us that this problem is solved and study.

the Afro esc are a $ 13.97 deposit to usa from HobbyKing:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__52338__afro_esc_30amp_mu...

• Yeah, I can understand that it's tough to see but if it was not hooked up properly it wouldn't work at all.  I don't see how you could connect it 'sort of' correct and get the symptoms I am experiencing.  The motors wouldn't spin at all, or it wouldn't power up.  My issue is very specific.

In any case, if 3DR is interested in replicating and resolving this problem, hobbyking has plenty of the 30 amp Afro ESC's in stock, for only 13.97.  And you can get my motors here.  I have only 4 of these ESC's and have invested enough time on this to be down for another unknown amount of weeks if I sent you one of mine.  Now that it is at least flyable and the weather is starting to warm up I want to fly.  These are very common multirotor speed controllers, I'm sure if there is some sort of incompatibility between them and the Pixhawk I'm sure it is in 3DR's best interest to resolve any problems.  And I reiterate that I do not have the issue sans-Pixhawk.

The other option I would be willing to explore is if you send me a 3DR branded SIMONK esc for testing.  I'd be interested to see if it has the problem, seeing how the 2 brands I've tried do.  I tested my setup at 15 amps WOT per motor, so if it fixed the problem I'd definitely replace all of mine with your 20 amp version.

• Developer

>>> I don't see how you could connect it 'sort of' correct and get the symptoms I am experiencing. 

You could have an issue where the ESC is being knocked offline at some current draw levels or the PWM signal is not being interpreted correctly at some current draw levels because of a ground reference issue.  That is what Rob & I were getting at as far as some issue specific with your setup. 

• Developer

The 3DR Simon K ESCs have been tested with with Pixhawk and are being flown on all of the RTF vehicles.  They have no problems.

• Sorry, had to zip the log file.

14.zip

This reply was deleted.

Activity