Hi Forum readers,

I am building a new X8 and wish to build in some redundancy around the power input. 

I am considering connecting two 6S batteries to 2 HK Pilot Mega 10S Power Modules and run them in parallel so the first power module powers the top 4 ESC's and the 2nd power module powers the lower 4 ESC's. 

Whilst it would be nice if the functionality was available to monitor the 2 batteries independently through the Pixhawk telemetry and or minimOSD video I understand this is not currently available.

In lieu of this, can the DF13 6 Position Connector for monitoring the Voltage and current be connected in parallel to provide a single input to the Pixhawk?  Therefore the overall voltage and current consumed can still be monitored?

Cheers

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't think it would be wise. The voltage over one shunt will feed back into the other.  You would effectively be getting the average but with some weird currents flowing between the two. 

As for the power,  the same would be happening.  The output with the slightly lower voltage would be a sink. 

Best off using one,  use a second bec to power the pixhawk (see pixhawk multiple supply voltage) and it's redundant. 

• Thanks Drone Imagery. 

That's how I have it on my existing Quad but it is still going through 1 power module.  I was hoping to add in some redundancy for that.  The reason being I am considering the new X8 for commercial operations.  To gain approval and get an exemption from some of the current RPA legislation her in Oz, my understanding of the rules is that I need to provide a dual parallel redundant battery system including mounting the batteries on separate platforms.  I was going to provide 2 BEC's to power the Pixhawk to reduce the possibility of brown outs and provide F/C power redundancy, but I still need redundancy in the power circuits from the battery to the BEC's.

Using 2 power modules provides some of the redundancy I need, it's just how to monitor both batteries via telemetry.  Maybe this needs to be considered for development due to legislative requirements for commercial considerations (possibly even for the hobby UAV's to introduce another level of safety).

Cheers

This reply was deleted.

Activity