Point and shoot camera with video out?

Is there a point and shoot camera that has video out like the go-pro?  I currently use the gopro video out to send back video of what I am taking a pictures of.  I am looking to upgrade to a camera that takes nicer pictures than the GoPro but still need to be able to see what I am shooting and not be shooting blind.  Unfortunately my camera mount is only big enough to accept a point and shoot style not a DSLR camera.  The camera does need to have a continious shooting mode or be able to accept the CHDK firmware.  I have been searching for a couple days on different forums with no luck.  Anybody have any ideas?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Neil,

What kind of gimbal are you using here? Do you like it?

- Rick

• I have an older Canon point and shoot camera with CHDK on it (SD750). The problem I experienced with it is it won't allow video out and the usb port to be used for triggering at the same time. When I hook up both, it keeps taking a photo every couple seconds, non-stop.

So, I'm assuming that the S95 doesn't have this issue. Please confirm as I may consider getting the s95/100 also. Thanks
  • Looks like the Canon s95 with the CHDK firmware is going to be my choice.  Around $175 used is looking like a good option.

• Neil, I am researching this same topic for my quad copter or it appears to be the same.  

In my case I would like to have more control over the camera remotely than taking a picture using a remote trigger (gentLED) or programming it before flight to shoot video and/or still photography. It would be nice to have a way to control the camera through RC with a list of programmatical commands.  CHDK just provides more features for the camera as I see it, but is there a way to actually control the camera thru any of the ports into the cameras?  Even if the copter has a secondary lower resolution FPV camera mounted somewhere to determine the right view, then control the camera to take pictures, shoot video, etc beyond the controls of the gentLED functionality.  I am guessing there is no universal protocol to control these proprietary cameras.  With this control it seems as though you could mount all sorts of different levels of cameras and accomplish what you need. I agree with you that it would be nice to accomplish this with a point and shoot style because of weight and size.  Have you decided on a budget for your camera?  You mentioned the GoPro, so does this mean you want something around $300? For me, I would like to have two levels, one high end and one lower end option.

• Sir, I am trying to have a onboard camera on my UAV, i wanted to know what will be the best specification for the camera.....also i have a 2.4GHz module which i will be using to transmit the video information to a laptop.....i wanted to know whether ardupilot ca directly be used with the 2.4GHz module.............thanks in advance.....plz i want help as i have to submit my project on oct 29th ..............

Hi Take a look at the Aiptek A-HD, it has A/v out and can take 5Mg pictures while its A/v is being sent and it records in HD while its in the plane. The screen folds flat in use and it does not auto off in normal operation, records 2 hr of video and pictures. best of all its CHEAP . I bought mine new from B+H photo of new york. less than 120$ witha 2 year break it if you can and we will replace it warranty. I bought mine 12 months ago . its been crashed 3 times dropped twice and still works great!!  easy to add a servo as a camera trigger

Dwgsparky

• I am currently working with the Ricoh GR Digital IV which is CHDK compatible and has a live video out, movie capable (only 640 x 480 though) but is a true 10M pixel still camera.

I am setting this up on a Hexa for a survey company to use for mapping, they provided the camera and it is proving to be very friendly to use.

Now if I can only get CH6_RELAY to work somehow I will be happy.

This reply was deleted.

Activity