Powering APM on DJI F450 Frame

Hi, I'd like some help on my quadrotor build if possible.

I have APM 2.6 on my F450 frames complete with the 30A OPTO ESCs (meaning that they have no BEC to supply power to the "output" side of the APM?)

I have a 3DR power module that is providing power to the APM and I have verified that it powers up correctly. 

Now, I've heard that you don't need to install a BEC if you have a 3DR power module, but I'm unclear if that is true in the event that your ESCs do not have BECs built in. 

Even if that is true, my ESCs do not make any noise at all when I plug in the power (so the motors don't spin at all). Could this be because I need a BEC or could it be an issue with my wiring (do I need to resolder the wire connections to the F450 power distribution board)?

Also, if I do need a BEC how do I install it? I've already burnt one out (and a 3dr power module as well) trying to use it. I think my issue there was that I soldered it directly onto the battery wire instead of onto the gold portion of the power distribution board, but I would like some advice with regards to that.

I know that this is a a lot to ask all at once, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Note: I should also mention that I believe that I've successfully calibrated the APM (radio calibration, compass, no ESC calibration due to use of DJI OPTO ESCs, etc.)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have this Same Setup i just completed today, i get all the Beeps i am supposed to get but the Motors Spin Very slowly and Heat up ALOT. You should not need a BEC with the 3DR power Module, mine is working to get power to the 30A OPTO ESCs. But again i cant explain why the Motors Spin so slowly, they more or less stutter. I hope some one else besides you and me have the same problem. Also i think you will have to ask this in the forums, as 3DR isnt providing Support on these threads any more http://ardupilot.com/forum/

This reply was deleted.

Activity