Developer

PPM encoder. Cause of channel freezing found.

For beginning of the story see here :

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/ppm-encoder-problem-loosing?commentId=705844%3AComment%3A462572

I've finally received a 2.4 Ghz receiver and transmitter system.

So i did measure PWM outputs on channels 1 and 2 for my 72 MHz receiver, then for my 2.4 Ghz receiver.

Here are the results for the 72 Mhz receiver :

3690877864?profile=original

We can see clearly that the rising front of channel 2 begin before falling front of channel 1.

Now let's see the pwm outputs for the 2.4 Ghz receiver :

3690878055?profile=original

Here we can see that channel 2 rising front start just after falling edge of ch1.

For information, the total frame period is not very stable for 2.4 Ghz. There is about 2 ms jitter. But this does not seem to cause problems to the ppm encoder.

I think that this explain why i have problems with the ppm encoder and the 72 Mhz receiver. The ppm encoder is simply not able to reliabily decode the signal.

After one hour of intensive testing, no more channel freezing with the 2.4 Ghz receiver.

So i would recommand to all users, to stay away from receivers with interleaved pwm outputs (possibly FM receivers). I can't be sure, but it seems that 2.4 Ghz receivers are ok. This needs to be verified nevertheless because i've only tested an Hitec optima 9 receiver.

Here are the receivers i've tested :

Hitec optima 9 (2.4 Ghz) : compatible

Hitec Fusion 9 (72 Mhz)  : not compatible with actual ppm encoder code

Hitec Freedom 9S (72 Mhz) : not compatible with actual ppm encoder code

Do not forget that if you are targeted by the ppm encoder problem, you have great chances to crash because of it after a couple minutes. So it's better to check before to fly if you have a compatible receiver.

I think that futur revision of the ppm encoder code will be fully reliable, but in the meantime, be carefull.

I'm still waiting for an ISP programmer, so i can try to modify the ppm encoder code to solve this problem.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Very strange situation.

Today I got Turnigy TGY-9 2.4 GHz. Every thing is working, no freezings. Space betveen PPM pulses is 2...3 mkSec (0.000002). PPM sequence by channels is 1-3-2-4-5-6-7-8. I tryed to make usual sequence 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 - still working normally.

Later I got FrSky D8R (PWM pulses are looking same like in FrSky V8). IT IS WORKING, no freezings.

Back to FrSky V8 - got freezings.

May be there is some interference on RF/crystal frequency with FrSky V8 receiver?

I tried to put ferrite filter on the wires between the ARDU and receiver - no results, same freezings.

So, cause of channel freezing is not found.

• I'm trying to understand, is there link between freezings and another problem in my copter:

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/drift-of-the-control-signal

• Here are the results for the FrSky receiver :

PWM_FrSky.jpg

Space between PWM pulses is is about 3...5 mkSec (0.000004).

• Same problem with FrSky V8FR (2.4GHz)
  • 3D Robotics
    Excellent detective work--many thanks for sharing that. As you say, there is a new version of the PPM encoder coming and not many people still use FM receivers anymore, so I hope this issue will soon be moot. But it was impressively diagnosed!
This reply was deleted.

Activity