PX4 Autopilot

My next project will be a HexCopter with a PX4 for the flight controls and a Raspberry Pi running ROS for grater environment sensing.  The idea is to, not just fly between waypoints but, avoid trees.   

I've selected the Raspberry Pi and ROS because it is all Open Source hardware and software, small light and available.  It's what I have.

Let's discuss.  Does anyone else in the group have experience with ROS?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have to agree with Yogesh, The Pi is a really nice device, but it is underpowered. However it is a very fun device to play with. In my case I'm using it as a gateway between my ground station software and multiple UAVs.

Really interested in more info in what you plan to do with the Pi, are we talking image processing?

• Let me warn you ahead of time. RaspberryPi is really really underpowered for any computer vision related task.

All those fancy HD videos you see RPi playing is using its dedicated hardware video decoders, and not because it has a great processor. 

• The PX4 has a non-ROS publish/subscribe tightly integrated within their architecture.

https://pixhawk.ethz.ch/px4/dev/shared_object_communication

They also support ROS. I'm not sure about when to use which for the stuff that doesn't need to go on the linux box. Have you chosen some ROS/linux sensors yet?

Are you using the stock software or the APM port?

This reply was deleted.

Activity