PX4/Pixhawk Flight Core Controlling FireFLY6 VTOL

Hi,

I recently discovered a post on RCG here back in May 2015 from a new member about using a single Pixhawk for VTOL control on the BirdsEyeView FireFLY6. It lead to the PX4 page below describing some development firmware for the Pixhawk. Does anyone know if there have been updates to this development or how to obtain the firmware for testing?

VTOL Firmware for Pixhawk

PX4 Page to BirdsEyeView FireFly

Thanks.

3691241142?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank Greg, I will inform you how is going my project.

FAbian

• Sunnysun,

For #1, the QGC should work fine to load Pixhawk firmware. The main designer of QGC has posted many times on the FireFLY6 thread here and is working to make QGC fully compatible with the FireFLY6 AvA firmware. His screen name is DonLakeFlyer.

For #2, this seems like a reasonable plan. I have also thought of making another VTOL using the Pixhawk with AvA firmware.

For #3, yes this is a good plan.

I do not see anything wrong with your approach. My approach was similar in that I used the AvA firmware with a FireFLY6 model but used my own lower cost power system. My 6s Lipo SunnySky power system and low cost ESCs works identical to the more expensive "High-Efficiency Propulsion Bundle" from BirdsEyeView Aerobotics. You may want to look at their spares section for possible use of great ideas like the chain drive for servo transitions.

Good luck!

• In your first answer you wrote: "FireFly6 AvA firmware", here u mean firefly6 AvA " hardware? BC firmware will be installed by the QGC itself...

• Sunnysun,

If you don't purchase the AvA key, then you will need a Bridge Transition controller and a second flight controller; one for hover and one for plane. I don't think you want to add that complexity and the Bridge Transition controller is not sold separately by BirdsEyeView Aerobotics. Alternatively, you can be a beta tester on the PX4 stack solution linked earlier in this thread.

Use the AvA key feature chart here. If you are only looking for sport flying and transitions, the $49 key may work for you. If you want full autonomous flight with transitions and Loiter mode, then you need the $199 Pro key like I have.

Transitions in Auto mode are added to the Mission Planner just like other commands. The VTOL does not automatically transition to hover mode when passing waypoints. It will only transition automatically when commanded to RTL (Return To Launch) and Land. If you want to transition to hover mode at a waypoint and then Loiter, you need to add those commands into your Mission Planner flight plan. It is easy to do.

In your example of a "W" mission, the FireFLY6 would remain in plane mode and fly a curve around the waypoint to continue its mission. The size of the curve radius is determined by settings in the Full Parameter List. It would seem inefficient to transition back and forth making a copter a better vehicle choice for the mission.

There is no AvA hardware, only special firmware for your Pixhawk that you enable through the purchase of a key.

• thank you Greg, i really appreciate ur replies. i will contact u soon when i test one idea of mine, using APM and still vtol :)

• Thank you, ur reply gave me a lot of confidence to continue my research on this. :)

Also I don't think I will be needing any KEY_VALUE t enjoy all features, right ?

One t

hing that I am concerned about is the transformations in auto mode. I mean when the machine is asked to follow a mission and while going towards a specific way point, does it automatically shifts to plane mode to automatically improve efficiency? And when a waypoints are achieved, does this system hovers like tricopter automatically?

Suppose I gave a mission which looks like an alphabet "W", it has three sharp turns, and at each turn it will have to dead stop and then turn sharply to go to next waypoint, so if it only flies in plane mode it will definitely stall and fall at the edges of " W". But if it intelligently switches at corners to tricopter mode, then it wouldnt crash. Got any experience in that? If do plz answer

• I am wondering about the commonality of the PX4 Flight Stack and the APM Flight Stack. Is there any code in common?

If so, are basic flight modes like Stabilize, Alt. Hold, Loiter, Take-off, and Landing the same between these flight stacks?

Since I am familiar with APM, but not PX4 firmware, is there a document that  describes the differences for users?

Thanks.

• The Pixhawk hardware offers a choice for flight stacks; PX4 and APM.

Does anyone have experience with both flight stacks? If so, can you comment on the differences or point to documentation that may compare them? Do they contain some common code base and maturity?

My understanding is that Mission Planner supports only the APM flight stack but QGroundControl and APM Planner 2.0 support both stacks. The PX4 flight stack seems more rooted in the academic world while the APM flight stack is in both the commercial and academic worlds. Both flight stacks seem to be under the Dronecode project umbrella.

My goal here is to determine if I want to try a VTOL project under the PX4 flight stack that uses a single Pixhawk or stick with the current APM solution that uses a Pixhawk and a second flight controller (DJI, APM, EagleTree, etc.) I am comfortable with Mission Planner but have little experience with QGC.

• I found several Dronecode links that helps explain the two flight stacks. The APM flight stack is much larger and more mature than the PX4 flight stack.

Dronecode Org Homepage

Flight code description for APM and PX4 stacks

Size Comparison of Devs per stack

Compatible Ground Stations (GCS)

A Newbies Guide to UAVs

• As an update, and, some closure on this discussion, I decided to use the the new AvA (or Advanced VTOL Autonomy) feature from BirdsEyeView Aerobotics. This feature combines the copter and planes features of the APM stack into a single Pixhawk firmware load.

In the first two images below, you can see the elimination of the Arducopter (Arduflyer) controller and the bridge transition assistant using the new AvA feature. The result is a fully autonomous VTOL design that can be controlled in the FireFLY6 Planner derivative of Mission Planner. The documentation on the BirdsEyeView Aerobotics products is top notch!

3702804791?profile=original3702804922?profile=original3702804735?profile=original

This reply was deleted.

Activity