I built a QAV400 that flies well and records smooth video. I'm getting 10 minute flights using 5200mAh LiPo batteries.
I want longer flight times.
- Create a baseline using a standard battery.
- Reduce the weight of the "dirty" frame by 200g, maintaining strength and rigidity.
- Design the new, lighter frame to allow for 10" props (current limit is 8").
- Reduce the weight of the "clean" frame by 50g or more.
- Replace the original 1100kv motors with more efficient, lower kv motors.
- Document the performance of various prop/motor combinations.
- Find other ways to reduce overall weight/increase flight time.
Goal: To achieve 30 minute flight times while maintaining good flight performance.
I've been following posts by Forrest Frantz who currently holds the Guinness record for Longest Electric RC Multicopter Flight at 97 minutes!! He has some great threads with tons of info, especially this one on Building Copters with Round Tubes...
I'll be posting detailed notes and photos of each step...