3691052100?profile=original

Hi Guys

I recently built up my APM2.5 powered FPVManuals QAV500 frame with the following components:

• FM-4006-13 740kv Motors
  • FPVManuals 30AMP SimonK Flashed ESCs
  • APM2.5 with 3DR Ublox GPS and Telemetry
  • Immersion EzOSD, 600mw Video Transmitter, FatShark CCD Killer FPV camera, 2000mah 3s battery - for FPV electronics
  • 4000mah 4s Nano-tech battery - for main power

This is the first quad I have built using the Ardupilot APM2.5 (my other Quads use KK2 board or other proprietary board). Initially after building the QAV500 Quad, I did all the calibrations (compass, accel, radio ..etc). I have also programmed all the flight modes (6 modes - with a combination of a 2 position and 3 position switch on the Hitec Aurora 9) as well as setup failsafe when the transmitter is off. At first I was able to take off and fly the quad, although there was quite a bit of low speed oscillations on the motors. I started adjusting PID settings and tried to use other PID's from others with the same frame and similar motors, but only seemed to get worse (high speed osciallations) - even when lowering P rate.

I have subsequently reset the APM back to defaults and done the calibrations again, but I seem to have a very weird issue. After ARMing the quad, In Stablize mode, I add throttle to the minimum for the motors to spin (and I don't add any more throttle), but the motors slowly increase in throttle by itself and I have to cut throttle before it almost takes off. I tried to adjust the THR_MIN value to a lower or higher value than default, but doesn't seem to eliminate the "ghost" throttle increase.

I would really appreciate your input on what I can do from here, I've been very cautious to take this Quad for a proper maiden flight until I get this issue and the PID tuning sorted..

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wow, this was back in Aug 2013. I left it for a few weeks after that, recalibrated the ESCs and got the latest version at the time, been flying ever since. It's such a stable platform for a quad, love the QAV and the APM. Thanks for the replies
  • Gareth,

you really need to update to current firmware (3.15 or 3.2 beta) ... 3.0.1 is hundreds of bugs ago... start with default PIDs and do an auto-tune.  I have had great results with the 3.2rc6 firmware.  In this case don't let "beta" scare you.  I have been flying each release of the 3.2 code since rc1 (months now) as have thousands of others...and it works well.

Steve

• I use Fixhawk (a clone from rctimer) on QAV 500, fm-4006 motor, fpvmanual esc 30A, 10 in graupner, 4200 mah 4s, ublox gps. its fly nicely stable and lock-in, much more fun than naza V2 I use previously. I like to use ch 6 for quick tunning in the field, handy feature.
    here is my pid

image.jpg

• Hi did your issue resolved?  I have a QAV500 and Pixhawk controller.  It was very unstable and I have not tried flying for a few months until I have seen if I can find more information.

This reply was deleted.

Activity