Quanum Nova fails to arm

I have only managed to fly my new Quanum Nova 5 times. Now it has fails to arm the motors. I have checked both the transmitter & receiver and have noticed that the receiver stops flashing red once the TX is switched on. Have read a few blogs and someone mentioned that he has had the same problem and after several tries it decided to arm itself.

Unfortunately this is not the case with mine. Have opened both TX as well as the Quad, checked all wiring and everything seems to be in order except for one link from the RX to the controller, which seems to be inserted with the -ve and the signal in reverse. Check pic below.

• Have loaded Mission Planner and confirm that none of the TX controls are showing up when trying to calibrate the TX.
  • Have also found a blog of how to bind or rebind the RX to the TX but all attempts have failed today.
  • (Can anyone clarify which pins should the shorting plug go across?)

Has anyone had similar problems?

Any suggestions - replace the RX or TX or both?

DSC02846-1.jpg

DSC02846-1.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Two thoughts. The calibration you did. Was that the red and yellow flashing light calibration or was it a mission planner version? I found that the red and yellow LED system worked well.

Have you tried using Mission planner to disable all pre arm checks or individual checks. That has always worked for me in allowing a flight but of course it wont give satisfaction for GPS flights.

I repeat my idea of waiting 25 seconds after the initial check music. Mine never arms before then. (about 60 sec's after plug-in)

If you attempt to arm in Mission Planner (props off; and battery connected, to silence the beeps) you are likely to get an HUD indication of the problem(s) which  prevent arming.  

Best of luck

• Ha Ha Ha !!! I never would have thought of that. Sometimes the simplest problems are the toughest. So now it is time to go flying. Go slowly and stay close while you get used to things.Do a test of the RTH function in the first twenty seconds of every flight. (no need to touchdown). I am a mode one flyer and truly believe it is better with copters as it halves the load for the left hand thumb, which for most of us is an under-performer. But once you've got used to one system, don't ever change !!!    Birdmanpete.

• It appears that my problem is pilot error.    I found that I have a Mode 1 system, which reverses the functions of the right and left sticks.  The manual that came with my QN only discusses the Mode 2 system, except with one reference to Mode1.    So when I put the throttle (right stick) all the way back and move the left stick all the way to the right, after 10 or 15 seconds the motors are armed and the throttle seems to work normally.   I can disarm the motors by putting the left stick all the way to the left. 

So I have learned a few things and I have to say that Matt at HK has been responsive and helpful.   One of the things that he said was that the Quanum Nova should be programmed with Mission Planner V1 rather than the APM Planner V2.  

Don't know if this helps anyone else but I do appreciate the responses I've gotten here.   Thanks

• In your last comment on this I understood you to mean that you are switching on the transmitter after the flight module. The manual (LOL) insists that you must not do that. 

The comment about below FS level means, when throttle is below a Failsafe command as set by the user. 

When you power up the aircraft after the transmitter you should get 15 seconds of beeps and chimes with both LEDs flashing. If I wait for 25 seconds after the musical chime it arms every time (if the pre arm checks are disabled). When it fails to arm (rarely) the problem is displayed on the HUD.. If there is more than one problem you need to resolve them by turns.

Best wishes. Birdmanpete

• The calibration that I did was with the TX and the red and yellow flashing lights.   Seemed to work fine.  

Using Mission Planner I got the following under the messages tab (see attached sreenshot also):

ArduCopter V3.1.5

command received

Arm: Thr below FS

SUCCESS: Executed CMD: 400

Don't know what Thr below FS means or why I got a success message or what CMD 400 is. 

Also, I have waited more than 60 seconds for arming when using the TX to arm.  I typically wait for the QC lights to go to the slow blinking mode then turn on the TX, then throttle to lower right and hold it there for more than 60 seconds.

Thanks

Capture 6.JPG

• I checked my receiver, and the wiring is like your picture

Now unfortunately as I was moving wires at the controller the other end of that same wire popped out... and I do not know if it connects to 1-2-3 or to 2-3-4.  Do you think you could have a looks perhaps?

• Yes it connects as follows: Black to 1, Red to 2 and white to 3. The picture tells a 1000 stories...

DSC02849.jpg

• I found my answer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnhXSI2sTa0  The pins used are 1-2-3 which are really channel 5-6-7 or AUX1-3.  The video also says Aux1 is your flight mode - the 3 position switch.  So the factory wiring has a black wire carrying the channel 5 signal to controller AUX1 input.  I don't know why Aux2 has 5V and AUX3 is ground.

Alright, still not making any headway arming the motors.  I have a ticket open with HobbyKing, Lord know when they get around to looking at it, it's been there unattended for only a week so far!

• Thanks for the link, it is a long video but quite informative.

I have tried again to see if the unit will arm but like yours it just does not fails to do so.

I have actually received a reply from HK today and I think this is a wide spread issue. Anyway my reads as follows:

Good day! Thank you for contacting HobbyKing.

I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you and I do understand your frustrations regarding this matter. Please be informed that we are doing our best to look for the best possible solution to resolve this issue to our valued customers like you. In addition to this issue, kindly fill out also our RMA form as we need this in processing your claim by following these steps:

Please visit our SUPPORT page http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/FAQ.asp#returns
        1. Go to the ?Returns & Refund? section and click on the ?Warranty Support Page? link
        2. Fill out the RMA form(Select Other returns).
        i. Select type of return.
        ii. Confirm if not modified and the item is under warranty period, the defect was not caused by inappropriate usage/crash
        iii. Choose correct SKU and exact quantity
        iv. Select reason of return.
        v. Select action requested
        vi. Review information and tick
        vii Read and follow instruction on how to upload picture /video link
        viii Tick "Print return label"

Thank you for emailing support, if you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards.

• That's a canned reply...  I got it on another issue.  I filled one of these out, my requested action was primarily tech support, I didn't think I wanted to send the whole unit back.  Anyway, 10 days after I filled out the RMA form I still got no response.  In other words, don't hold your breath!  Your best course of action might be to send it back to your nearest warehouse and ask for a replacement.

On mine the compass housing also broke, for no good reason - looked at it wrong I think.  It's flimsy construction, I suspect it must have been cracked already...  I wanted (and still want) them to send me a replacement for the compass housing.  Meanwhile I should probably try to fashion one from aluminum, maybe a pill box of some sort!  It's a compass, I should think anything non-magnetic should be OK.

BTW on another RMA it took a long time but they did resolve it the way I wanted to see it resolved so I was happy in the end.  They are just very very slow.  Good luck!  (I am brand new to this hobby and hobbyking, as you can probably tell :-)

This reply was deleted.

Activity