100KM

Radian Pro for ArduPilot Mega?

Hi All

Been reading in the background quite a bit, I'm trying to get started but I have a problem finding a Dynam HawkSky locally ( South Africa ).

It looks like a Radian Pro can work, I've seen some vids.

Would this be an ok starting point? Would I be able to build on it to a vehicle capable of flying to waypoints carrying a helmet cam?

Many thanks,

Hein

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• @ Wesley Versfeld @Hein du Plessis

Thank you very much for your input! I know this thread is a few years old but the radian pro is an not uncommon glider so I wonder why there is so little information about it concerning ardupilot.

BTW: I did the first step (of 100) and removed those magnets. Next step is disassebling the motor unit and getting rid of too long cables and bullet connectors (and locktite the screws). Putting out the ESC in the airstream is a good idea.. hmm... I will go for 2200mAh 3S Lipo that seems to be reasonable from what i've read.

I'll keep you posted of my progress, if there is anything to report...

• 100KM

Hi

If I remember correctly (this was more than two years ago), I just placed the APM on top of a piece of foam on top of everything in the canopy, squeezed it down and held it down with rubber bands :) It was a tougher job for me because it was the APM 1. I had fun. Good luck!

• 100KM

Hi Hein,

I used APM with a Radian Pro (Still Have the PIDs as well). I mounted a GoPro to it and 5000Mah 3S (with small modifications). The compartment is a little tight, so I mounted the ESC outside the fuse (in the cool air), and built a second deck inside (removable) to mount the APM on. It was a tighe fit, but it all gets in there.

Let me know if you need more info.

• Hello Hein du Pessis!

On my visit at my local store (actually in the netherlands but only 10Km away from my place in germany :) ) I just couldn't resist and bought the Radian pro without thinking of how to put my apm2.0 to it.... Googling around I found your thread here. Do you have any advice or maybe some pics on how to integrate the apm2.0. I see many obstacles. First of all I will have to get rid of that magnet stuff going on in that plane to secure my compass. The next thing I read is that the radian pro likes to drop out of the sky vertically (YT video shows props running). I think it's an overheat - tilt on the onboard 5V line, so I will add an extra BEC for the servos (are they analog or digital - no info in the manual), besides the APM powermodule wich is supposed to just power APM and RX. So even if the E-flite ESC decides to shut down it's 5v line or completely I or the apm will still be in control. Putting the APM2.0 in the front compartment seems to be problematic with the BL Motor running just a few cm away from it (compass). The bottom compartment looks like the perfect spot and the GPS will be just covered by foam, so i don't see a real problem of reception here. Did you succeed in placing the servos down the tail to get that compartment free? BTW the glider is all curvy, how to put in the apm real level for flightleveling/calibration etc.?

Any ideas, help, input is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Kraut Rob

• Hi Hein

The receiver to look for would be either of the following:

AR6210 6-Channel DSMX Receiver
    Code: SPMAR6210

Price: R700.01 (incl.) Each

Or

AR7010 7-Channel DSMXReceiver
    Code: SPMAR7010

Price: R799.00 (incl.) Each

Or

AR600 6-Channel Sport DSMX Receiver
    Code: SPMAR600

Price: R514.99 (incl.) Each

Regards
    John
  • Hi Hein

The Autopilot Mega will fit into the front of the Radian Pro under the canopy.I put a little tin foil between the apm and the motor just to stop any rouge interference from the motor.The GPS and your Xbees can fit behind the main wing top and bottom. The air speed sensor can fit into the fuz underneath the wing and run the pitot tube down the wing so that the prop wash does not affect the airspeed sensor.the static tube can face backward from the pitot tube or you can leave it inside the fuz.
    If you need a Radian Pro, I do have stock. Price R1595.00 (FOB Cape Town) Im not too sure about fitting a camera and transmitter. If you have a small key ring camera it should be able to fit as well.

let me know if you need help..

Regards

John

• 100KM
    The actual configuration is here: http://www.edge-1.com/Edge/Main.asp?D={B8E98705-C691-4695-8304-60C09A64B86E}&PageType=Product&SKU=PKZ5475&CategoryID=92
     - Status
This reply was deleted.

Activity