I am a grad student who is starting some basic research on UAV/Drone technology. I am looking for some insight on the best setup to buy. My budget is around $2500 for the whole setup.

I would like to produce quality aerial images/maps. This is my primary need. I would also (later) like to use this drone for Precision Agriculture, and so it needs to be something that I can fit an IR camera too (or be a camera that I can modify/set).  IR images can be used to determine crop health.

I have looked at the 3DR Iris+, and the DJI Phantom 2 Vision +.

The Iris+ looks to be something that I could repair myself, without needing to send the whole thing away. However, the gimbal does not seem to be as good as the DJI gimbal, and so the aerial images are not as good. Because of the gimbal, the Phantom seems to produce better images. Is this true?

I have been looking at mapsmadeeasy. com, and their dronesmadeeasy.com site.  I am currently also considering their Base Mapping Bundle. Link below.

http://www.dronesmadeeasy.com/b/8946447011

As for software, I have been considering mapsmadeeasy.com, and I have seen a little but about Agisoft.  I prefer the idea of running the processing myself, but this is certainly not required.

My funding is very limited so I would HIGHLY appreciate any addition tips on saving some cash. I am willing to do some assembly/mods myself, but I do not have the confidence (or tools) to create one from scratch.

Thank-you!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the insight!

• Perhaps you should take a look at this. I plan to build one for mapping later this year. Until now I use a modified 3drY6 with mt3506 motors and 14" props. The flighttime is 17 min with a Canon S100 what is enough for a 30 ha field. I use PTgui for stitching and a free GIS (Quantum) for georeferencing.

Good luck!

Hubertus

IMG_3982 Panorama.jpg

• Very interesting! Thanks for the link!

• Hi,

If you are set on mapping with a copter platform and you are on a tight budget I would suggest you look at the Flitetest electrohub and the electronics package they offer. Its something that you will have to build up. But that sometimes is the best thing to do when you are starting out. You will have to pair the system with the Pixhawk or APM from 3DRobitics..

As for the camera I would try and get your hands on two Canon S100's. They have been widely used and are easy to find secondhand or refurbished. And they are easily configured to automatically take pictures or link into the APM. 

I hope this helps, but what I will say is that if you are looking to survey farm fields I would suggest you go with a fixed wing airframe. For the money they have much better endurance and by design are much more crash resistant.

If you need any other help, I am in Pretoria and I am happy to help anyway I can.

Good luck. 

• Great to see other Saffers on the site! I'm currently studying & working in the USA, but I'll be back! :)

I initially wanted a fixed wing, but they are not as manoeuvrable in small areas. If I actually manage to eventually make some money off of this then I'll get a fixed wing.  My study area will initially be very small, so I'm happy with a copter for now.

I'm not sure I back myself, just yet, to build one up but it may be of great interest to my department head. We're looking at integrating some UAV courses into the department.

I've seen a lot about the Canon S100 cameras, so thanks for that!

Buy a Bixler and a clone APM along with the S100 Bradley mentions, GoPros just don't cut it if you want serious results. Event 38 have a local distributor in Durban I am sure Luke will pop up in this thread.

Probably the biggest favour you can do yourself is join a SAMAA model aircraft club or find guys flying locally to yourself and take along a few Windhoeks (Just say no to SAB) and look at what they fly and what all the bits are called and get yourself acquainted with stuff! Measure twice cut once as they say.  

I'm in the Natal Midlands and you are very welcome to come fly if this side.

• Thank you for your insight! I'm originally from Graaff-Reinet, in the EC, but am currently studying/working in the USA.  I'll be back soon enough though!

Do you guys have trouble getting parts? If any of the Saffers ever need a contact on this side of the globe, let me know!

• No differences except money for photos, which camera you are thinking to use, you have to think in that too, to known if your drone  choice can carry it

Another advantage of iris that you can use the radio for any other future dron, phantom radio is only for phantom.

• I figured a GoPro silver, or Black.  They seem to be the most widely used.  Do you have another recommendation?

• NO, the fish eye effect on gopro requires HUGE post processing to get decent pictures.

Fine if you do a house for an estate agent........

This reply was deleted.

Activity