Runaway

Had a runaway.

I had a GPS locator on it so I was able to find it. A small cypress tree caught it for me, so It was treated gently.. no damage.

Looks Like I had some serious vibration at full throttle. I don't think that was the entire reason though, I think the cause  of the runaway had to do with the fact that my taranis might not have liked my EZUHF transmitter module (the JR plugin type)
when I use the transmitter modulewith this particular Taranis, there is a buzzing sound coming out of the speaker in the Taranis.. This doesn't happen when I plug it into either of two more Taranis transmitters I have. I don't know why this happens but it makes me suspect something wrong. ( I know, I should have done a range test) .. but I suspect there is an issue with this particular and newest Taranis.. (only when using the EZUHF,) I flew for about 5 seconds, and then it was on its on. RTL did nothing..
BTW.. the logs I have attached show a short test hop, and switching from stabile, to alt hold, to loiter, and back and it seems like all was fine.After the pause on the ground for a bit, the second hop is the flight in the video.here is the video:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGvXW9G7gSk&feature=youtu.be

Perhaps the logs will tell a different story, maybe it was the vibration and seemed to have a bad matchup of the transmitter module and the radio.  Anyway, I got a second chance!

logs attached:  

15.log

15.BIN

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

Richard,

I know this is old news by now but after leaving comments for you in the AC 3.3 Beta thread I decided to look at your personal page. When I did I discovered this page. I know the incident in the video doesn't correspond to this log, but looking at the log you had a serious vibration issue going on here.

3702015971?profile=originalYou can see that during the climb to altitude when in forward flight you have really high vibration levels in the z-axis. I don't know if this is the same aircraft you're talking about in the 3.3 Beta thread if it is then it's had a major vibration issue for some time.

You also had some high compass offset values as shown in the analysis below. Is your compass near any type of ferrous metal? When you did your compassmot were you away from any metal objects? Did this flight end in a crash? The log is truncated.

Log File C:/Users/Nathaniel Caner/Downloads/15.log
    Size (kb) 3753.69140625
    No of lines 52609
    Duration 0:22:48
    Vehicletype ArduCopter
    Firmware Version V3.1.5
    Firmware Hash ee63c88b
    Hardware Type
    Free Mem 0
    Skipped Lines 0

Test: Autotune = UNKNOWN - No ATUN log data
    Test: Balance/Twist = GOOD -
    Test: Brownout = FAIL - Truncated Log? Ends while armed at altitude 31.69m
    Test: Compass = FAIL - WARN: Large compass offset params (X:-194.00, Y:-109.73, Z:353.78)
    WARN: Large compass offset in MAG data (X:-194.00, Y:-109.00, Z:353.00)
    Large change in mag_field (419.37%)
    Max mag field length (895.20) > recommended (550.00)

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
    Test: Empty = GOOD -
    Test: Event/Failsafe = GOOD -
    Test: GPS = GOOD -
    Test: IMU Mismatch = FAIL - Check vibration or accelerometer calibration. (Mismatch: 7.73, WARN: 0.75, FAIL: 1.50)
    Test: Parameters = GOOD -
    Test: PM = GOOD -
    Test: Pitch/Roll = GOOD -
    Test: Thrust = GOOD -
    Test: VCC = WARN - VCC min/max diff 0.544v, should be <0.3v

Regards,

Nathaniel ~KD2DEY

• It is the same aircraft.  What happened in that incident is that I was going to go up and hover out away from a cell tower while my associate was going to fly in a circle around the tower with the point of interest trained in the tower.

His job was to get photos that could be used to create a point cloud 3D rendering of the tower.

I was going to document it from an aerial perspective..

The aircraft I used, had been recently purchased and I didn't know I had vibration issues until I saw the video when I retrieved the copter from a tree.

Here is what happened.

we had concerns early on about it our frequencies used would be compatible. we did some tests that indicated that there was no conflict. He was using 2.4 for RC control, I was using 433, he was using 5.2 for video, I was using 1.258 G  I was using 730 for telemetry.  We flew together and it worked fine. It was several days later that we went back to the site to do the shoot.  My associate didn't tell me that the RC radio link he was using had been changed and he was using dragon link.

This conflicted with my EZUHF on 433.   

So I took off to get into position, and he turned on his radio and took off.  As soon as I got about 100 feet out, his radio took over. He didn't realize what was going on and I didn't either except to know my copter appeared to be guided and was leaving the area at  full throttle..  under full throttle I had a some vibration that was evident in the video

Here is the video but in reverse:  

If I had know what was happening, I could had flipped the transmitter "high power" switch and recovered it probably. Once again, I was lucky, I had a GPS locater (dog finder) and was able to find it several miles away, and it had been fought softly by a tree.  (no damage)    I'm have no idea why the log truncated though!

BTW, I ordered four new dynamically balanced motors today, I expect to have them on by the weekend.
  • [quote] this particular and newest Taranis.. (only when using the EZUHF,) I flew for about 5 seconds, and then it was on its on.[/quote]

By "newest" Taranis do you mean a Taranis X9D Plus?

• No, I don't have the plus, I was just referring to the newest one of the three Taranis Xmeters that I have.

RE

• I meant to mention that I just bought a Taranis plus and plan to use it with EZUHF JR tx module (that internet search that brought me here).

• I found out  that the problem I had with the runaway, was my friend also on 433 MHZ using a dragon link had his radio on.

I probably could have overridden my switching my high power switch on.  Hind sight!

You have to take care to sniff the spectrum if you are sharing the location with other flyers.

RE

• This morning I woke up thinking about a GPS locator -- and here is your post and video. Can you tell me what you chose for your GPS locator. Any details about your GPS locator setup would be greatly appreciated ...and put to use as I worry about this exact scenario!

• Hi Paul

I was using a "Pocket Finder" GPS locator,  It  is only about %12.00 per month for the cellular bill and paid for itself just on this incident itself..

There in't much setup, you get an app for your smartphone, (I use IPhone) and there is a website also you can use to find your locator.

to stretch out the "reporting in" for several days, I set mine to report in every 10 minutes.. this extends the battery life.

RE

• Richard,

Thanks for sharing more detail regarding your experienced with shared frequency fly=away and them lost aircraft recovery using GPS tracking service. I learned important lessons and appreciate you taking the time to document this further.

I wonder if there is a way to create our own GPS tracking mechanism using our native RC and GPS technology. In any case, the paid service pays for itself in one use.

Happy Landings,
        Paul

This reply was deleted.

Activity