Safety concerns

Hi

I am into rc planes for something like 25 years and I have seen quiet some bad injuries with propellers in the past. Unfortunately I do not understand much about electronics, I am a software developer.

Could I put a switch on the PWM wire between ESC and the receiver without disturbing the pwm signal to prevent the engine from starting up unintended?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

-S

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• hi this is a very good questiuon for electric flyers. the best way out is to remove the prop and only put it back when you are in the field just before flying. DO NOT put a switch on the PWM wire. I t may not work all the time. or buy a ESC with a built in electronic switch in the ESC which cuts the power to the motor and is quite relaible.
  • The motors have to be armed before they'll start spinning and can be disarmed again. You arm/disarm the motors by holding one of your sticks in the bottom right (arm) or bottom left (disarm) for a few seconds.
  • A better option might be to write a "kill" switch feature into the software of the autopilot. That way there's only one switch instead of one for each ESC/motor. There could also be a status indicator like a color changing LED controlled by the autopilot.
This reply was deleted.

Activity