Scratchbuilt twin boom

Since the twin booms seem to be the way to go, and I was wanting a payload plane anyway, I decided to build a twin boom.  This is 100% scratchbuilt, even the wing.   I gave it an RC only maiden flight this morning, and it flew like a dream.  Highly stable.  I do plan on adding rudders though, as I want to do some AP work, and require flat turns.  It has a 60" KFm3 airfoil.  The fuse is 5" square (about) on the outside and big enough on the inside to stick my arm in it. The nose has a removable EPP foam panel, I will replace with clear plastic for FPV/AP runs.

Boom Box angle.JPG

Box from below.JPG

Box flying.JPG

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Tim, how is the boombox coming? We are all VERY eager to see your published plans.
  • Thanks, Graham. I couldn't do my set up quite as nice as yours, but I did stare long and hard trying to figure out how I could. I will likely do something similar in the future. I also used your pics to help me mount my IR sensor. :)

I flew the Boom Box yesterday again (rc only), but with a handheld GPS on board for tracklogging. It stay airborne for 30 minutes, and tracked 10.4 miles! The Ardupilot is getting a LOT closer. I can't wait!
  • This is Sweet.

I just sold my Predator and have been looking for a kit, but this is ideal for what I want to do and its all DIY. Looks great, hope you don't mind if I use your design.

Look forward to seeing future updates.

Thanks Tim.
  • Ok, part two of the video is up. Its a bit shakier than part 1, as the wind was picking up the whole time. You can really tell when I fly by the windsock.
    All the Ardupilot parts are ordered, so now its just a matter of time. :) I can't wait. The plans are getting much closer by the way.

• can you please upload a pdf with a schematic of it? i'd like to build it.
  • Tend to agree with Gary. I did some more test on my Maxi Swift this weekend in fairly strong winds and all I can say is WOW! even with stabilization switched off I could easily control this gem full blast to hover landings.
    Wings are the way, not booms ;-)
    I love it..
  • Hey folks,
    if anyone is interested, video on this plane is now up. It flies like a dream on 2s, and I after 25 minutes I was too cold to keep going, so I just landed and went home. Also, we had a 13 dollar keychain cam on board, so it's picture in picture with FPV.

" target="_blank">
  • Developer
    Nice platform, I would add 12" to wingspan, I like higher aspect ratio...
    Should carry more than 8 oz maybe 3/4/kg....
This reply was deleted.

Activity