Searching for decent motor mounts

I have 6x   RC Timer BC2836-9 880KV Outrunner Brushless Motors on my Y6 Arducopter.

The x mounts that are supplied with these motors are made of cheese . Please does anyone know where I can purchase decent X mounts for these motors made from "real" aluminium ??

Thanks !

motor.bmp

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The motor mounts that come with the RC Timer motors are a bit soft, but if you mount them in this way here it should be fine. You can't see it on the video, but I put neoprene rubber washers from Home Depot here between the frame and the X-mount.  With four bolts, loctite washers and nuts, you shouldn't have to overtighten to get a solid grip on the motor mount.  Also, besides dampening vibrations, the neoprene washers absorb some of the tension from the bolts so that the X-mounts don't bend.  They also provide grip to prevent slipping.  So far, I have noticed a considerable improvement on the noise of the motors and the reduction of vibrations evident on my on board cameras.  

PS. If you can find X mounts made of harder stuff, that's great, but make sure they fit the holes in the motor.  I have used both the softer X Mounts and the harder ones and am happy with both.

• the first time i did it i used thin c section aluminium and the vibes were really really bad! the aluminium twisted easily and was no good.

I have changed to box section now and it is super ridgid. having said that i also use springs and foam to dampen all the electronics (not just the apm)

• I threw mine away and just bolted straight to the aluminium boom. had a few good crashes with no damage, but the last big crash from 55m high into a tree branch managed to rip one screw through the bar and twist the base plate so the motor is a write off (but would have happened with any mount i think)

i have also cut some out of carbon fibre in readyness for converting my quad into an octoquad.

Someone like this may be able to make them for you --> http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/cnc-cut-service

This reply was deleted.

Activity