I am working on a project to estimate the angle of attack and sideslip angle during flight. I am currently doing some tests using APM 2.0 and mission planner. The goal is to send the values of the AOA ans sideslip to mission planner and visualize them on the HUD of mission planner. They will be visualized using a small green circle that will move vertically to show the change in the angle of attack and horizontally to represent the change in slip angle.
I have modified the apm code and mission planner code to add the two new quantities. I modified the mavlink function on both sides and I can successfully read the values on mission planner. In addition, I modified the function currentstate.cs and HUD.cs to add the parameters.
The problem is that I am able to read the numerical values of the parameters but I am not able to visualize them using the green circle even though I made the circle position as a function of aoa and slipangle. The circle does not move at all but the numerical values start to change!! I suspected the problem might be in the definition of the circle, so I made the circle position as a function of roll and pitch and then the circle start to move with the angle change. I realized that the problem resides in relating the variables (aoa,sideslip) to be used within the HUD. I don't have experience with GUIs and little experience with visual studio.
Could you please tell me what are the functions that I need to modify to add these two new variables to the HUD visualizations. I have been stuck in this for 3 weeks now. I hope someone can help or direct me to blog or similar discussion.
A screenshot of the modified HUD is attached.