something similar to dji spreadwings s900

Hi im looking for a quad or hex that could hold a small mirroless camera like the panasonic g7 with a gimbal. I like the dji cuz of the folding arms and the retracts but its a bit overpriced, also not sure if i need something that big. if anyone has some inexpensive suggestions pls let me know. maybe something from tarot?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• what would the cost of something like that be? ( I do understand quad will simply cost more more.) I mean i hate to go here but you can get a phantom 3 pro for like 900 which although not even coming close in terms of video quality has a very clean interface with a great video monitoring system that doesnt need lots of parts.from what i have seen, there isnt really anything that can control the video(camera settings, gimbal) and the drone itself(flight modes waypoints etc.) that isnt very clunky. could you also provide me with some of the equations you use to design ur drones? do you have a website i could check out?

• For your calculations, use ecalc.com
  • Well other opinions may differ, but I have been designing and building these things for several years and the minimalist  (cheap) boxed products do not stand up IMHO.

This is how I design a UAV (I do this for a living).

Start with the payload. How heavy, what dimensions?

Endurance? It takes time to begin and end a mission so allow for that battery drain too.

With payload and endurance known, the required power capacity can be determined. If you cannot calculate that, then use as examples other successful UAV designs.

The required power determines the propeller thrust which then defines the motor size for a specific battery.

Batteries are heavy - include the battery size and weight in the weight calculation.

Start again.

How much does the design weigh?

How much power is needed?  What thrust is required? What size props and motors can do that job? What batteries have the needed capacity?

How much does that solution weigh?

Start again,

Etc

The outcome will be a design that fits the requirement for power and control. Step two is to understand the physical geometry required.  Obviously a Quad is 4 rotors, and a Hex is six - but what geometry works best for the electronics and batteries you will be needing? A Quad does not need to be symmetrical - and there are X or + arrangements possible with uneven arms so that the center of gravity fits the requirements as well.

There are solutions for your rig - you should be looking for something in the 900-1100 class, 20,000mAh batteries, 18" props ToW around 8Kg - that should give 35-40 mins with the G7 & gimbal. 

Smaller options would be a 750 class with 16" props, lighter batteries and payload and 20 mins endurance.

PM me if you need help.

• is there another platform you would suggest? or are you saying that i would need to buy something much more expensive. my goal is to get my g7 in the air for a decent amount of time with a video monitoring system but not have somthing massive

• Arbutus said:

I have had some significant issues with Tarot products and DJI products with respect to deck space, and fitting 3rd party components.  

Now this is not a flame in any way, but anyone buying these UAV platforms should be very familiar with the layout/geometry/space available.  Pay particular attention to the motor mounts and the placement of the ESC.  

Pay attention to the physical space available for the flight controller, BECs and other electronics. Account for thick wires, connectors and their strain relief.

Its not impossible to build a top-notch UAV from a Tarot or DJI platform, just don't expect it to be a smooth process.

• Simon, I see that you are in the USA.  I suggest that you look for an Iris at a store such as Cabelas (look in their Bargain Cave) and take advantage of the open source nature of the Flight Controller.  This is an old 3DRobotics frame that performs very well for a low price, especially if you can pick one up that has been returned by an overwhelmed consumer that wanted an RTF model.

• Hmm idk, it seems weird that they would make the frame out of that hollow plastic shell like a phantom for such a big quad. Also this one doesn't really fold, it just has 2 piece arms which seems like a bad design imo. Also although a pixhawk sounds good, it is running old ardupilot software not the new pixhawk software.
    Correct me if I'm wrong here
  • Have you seen this:
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aperture-rtf-m2.html
    Aperture Hexacopter Aerial Photography Drone (RTF) (Mode 2)
    The Aperture is a new professional 800mm wheelbase hexacopter drone designed for aerial photography. It features all that you want in a large camera…
This reply was deleted.

Activity