Sony RX100iii as aerial mapping camera

I am looking for feedback on using the Sony RX100iii as an aerial mapping camera. Currently we use the Canon SX260 with occasional blurred shots and lower-res/quality than we would like. The RX100iii looks like an excellent replacement but I am hoping for some feedback before making a purchase.

Thanks!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Can you install Timelapse app in the camera software ?

• Great discussion! Has anyone figured out the MULTI protocol?
  • Sony RX100iii is a good choice for ariel mapping.

• I also have a Sony RX100 M3 which I want install on a drone. If anyone has done this could they advise on what 3 axis gimbal that would suit this camera?

• Walkera make one for the Mk11 version but it needs to be modified to get the balance correct. Can be controlled with a device from LittlesmartThings.

Walkera have a very annoying habit of loctiteing everything so the heads of the small screws beak when you try to remove them. 

Totally over the top. Setting the PID Values is also a bit tiresome. When you finally get it to work it does deliver great footage.

• Seen a lot of really good reviews and videos using this one:

TP100A 3-Axis Brushless Direct-Drive Gimbal

• Shawn

Thanks for the link and it looks exactly what I want. Even has photos of the RX100 in the gimbal!

The Sony RX100 M3 is a great little camera and I am awaiting delivery of a Stratosnapper 2.

Can I ask what frame would be good to carry this gear? I was looking at Lumenier QAV500 V2

http://www.lumenier.com/products/multirotors/qav500

but any other suggestions would be appreciated!!

• If it were me I would want something a little more beefier than that frame. You are going to need to be able to hang the gimbal underneath it so something with some landing gear and clearance is necessary. Also depends on how much flight time you want. I always use eCalc these days to add everything up and make sure I am using the best components for the purpose.

• Sounds good advise and I will visit eCalc.

Thanks again.

• @Reuben @Esben

In the body of my QX 100 i see 5 pins.

I've receive an interesting mail tonight from 3DR, look at the page of 3DR Instagram.

You can see QX1 under Iris+, very good job!

However the weight of QX1 without lens is 216gr. Too heavy for me.

But the QX1 seem to be trigger by USB, maybe QX100 too.

Regards,

Sylvain

This reply was deleted.

Activity