Sony RX100iii as aerial mapping camera

I am looking for feedback on using the Sony RX100iii as an aerial mapping camera. Currently we use the Canon SX260 with occasional blurred shots and lower-res/quality than we would like. The RX100iii looks like an excellent replacement but I am hoping for some feedback before making a purchase.

Thanks!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi.   I'm new to all this but have a RX100 plus a D800 and plan to put a drone together for still and video. Can I please get some guidance on the following?  Can you get live data back from the  RX100 and what gear is needed to get the live data back from the camera and control the camera? 

Thanks Peter

• Hi, we use the SONY QX100 with an excellent result, and I think they have the same sensor and the same optics. We say QX100 to weigh less gaining autonomy on the drone.
    regards

• @ Habitat Estudios Ambientales s.l 

Please could you tell me how you control the camera.

Thanks, regards

• We control the camera with the mobile phone. The shot of the camera is amended and directly connected to the autopilot, but know it can be done via USB SONY though it is complex, we are studying.

• Thank you for your reply, that's what I also have found out so far....., so it's a wifi range issue and a interference problem with the normal 2.4 Ghz RC.

I did not find anything about USB control, do I know it is possible with other Sony models.

• Interesting. I will check into the optics and sensor comparisons.

I did find this about camera trigger: http://e4e.ucsd.edu/wordpress/?p=1268

Their mention of no shutter priority and their mapping mission results of blurred images concerns me with the QX100. Just discovered they update the QX100 to have shutter priority mode recently. It sure would be an awesome setup though!

• Hi Shawn

Making a USB camera trigger for your future Sony is easy ..see my very simple circuit below.. This will allow the Pixhawk to control when your camera triggers..3702778220?profile=original3702778300?profile=original

• Reuben,
            My Sony Rx100 III has a micro USB connector, I try everything but I can't trigger from my APM.
            I need to do some configuration in camera?
            Does PWM values must be 900 and 1900?
            I connected the black wire and shield to the GND and the green "center" wire to PWM signal, It's correct? I tried to connect green and white wires together but without any result.

Thank you very much

• Hi Brenner 

I am not sure you can use a remote on the Rx100 .. although i think the version 3 might be able to ..can it use sonys o.e. remote plugged into multiport ???

• Hi Reuben,

Yes according to Sony web site the model Rx100 II and III can be triggered by remote cable connection. I think that the problem is my cable, it is a normal micro USB cable that have only 4 wires and I need a sony multiport cable.

Now I'll search where to buy it in Brazil.

Thanks

This reply was deleted.

Activity