Starting on UAV project

Been researching for a couple of months now for a UAV project. However I have only been into rc cars for the past 10 years and never flown a plane so I will need to learn first. I have read that the Hawk Sky is a great platform to start off with and later convert into a UAV, but that the included radio system is not usable with APM. I see that most people use the Turnigy $53 transmitter is this the most cost effective solution? My other question is can I buy this plane with out the radio? I would rather spend around $60 on the plane and then another $50 on the radio than spend 100+ only to throw away the radio and spend another 50 for the Turnigy.

What is the largest battery that can be fitted in the hawk sky? I plan on a flight time of atleast 40 min if possible.

Thanks! Other suggestions on anything such as other air platforms are welcome

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am intending on learning to fly first but since I am buying an ARF version I thought it would be good to buy a long endurance battery for it and ESC while im at it so I don't have to do it later. I dont plan on getting the APM until late summer or fall so I have plenty of time to fly it before then.

• 3D Robotics
    Other Easystar clones are reviewed here. Some are available without radios.
This reply was deleted.

Activity