Supersonic, I'm going to do it.

Yep, you heard me right, I'm going to build the world's first supersonic RC plane, almost doubling the world's present RC speed record. Reason why I'm doing this is to get the attention of the aerospace industry so that they might consider me someday.

Yes, I know the technical challenges will be enormous, but that is why I am doing this, to demonstrate what I can do. Plus it will finally be a chance for me to put my degree to use.

Now the biggest challenge will be finding a place for me to actually fly supersonically, not that every flight has to be supersonic. I am aware that when airplanes travel at that speed a sonic boom is usually created. However, since this design will be smaller, so will the sonic boom.

Another concern of mine will be heat, as air friction compresses the air, heating it up. The temperature I estimate I will reach will exceed the maximum of some of the components, so I will need some sort of cooling mechanism, and just fans won't cut it.

Now I know some of you may have alarming concerns, but if you calmly address them with me I will address them. I'm posting this here because I may need advise for the type of parts I need and other recommendations you may have.

Aerospace V logger out.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A turbine alone is around 3 grand or more. You'll Need more, If you do it with rockets it will be cheaper but not very impressive... then it just turned into a rc rocket. 

Heres a rc jet flowen line-of-sight that does 400mph https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa-TSNeTK-A 

P.S. funny you started this thread, I was just going start one about turbine uavs and how fast I could go if I built one ;)

As the others said, crowd funding is great. You have to know what you are doing and explain it well cuz they are the ones funding it, Have 3d plans, parts list, etc... 

Thanks! 

Aaron

• I think you'll need more money than that.  But, should be easy to raise funds.  Just launch a Crowdfunding campaign!  Sell these things at $99 each, and you'll sell bucket loads.  Your current state of development fits really well with Indiegogo's lax rules.  So no problem.  Just need a napkin sketch, good to go.

• Hahaha. I was playing along with this post until I saw the $3000 number.

• Crowdfunding? What's that? And I doubt I can sell these things for $99.

• Crowdfunding is supposed to be for exactly this sort of thing! No market to commercialize it, but people fund it out of excitement. The perks should be things like t-shirts and a thank-you videos or something. The selling of actual (or more commonly, impossible) products through crowdfunding isn't the way it's supposed to work. I'd donate a significant amount of money, and I want a "supersonic R/C" tshirt just because I want to see how your project goes and show off that I think it's an exciting idea! I have low expectations for your success, but I want to see you try.

• this should b fun to watch ;-)

• Will it be autonomous or FPV?
    You'll need booster rockets or afterburner. Rockets are easier. Slow burn solid fuel or liquid?

This is totally crazy and a disaster waiting to happen, I just had to say it.
This reply was deleted.

Activity