Task: telemtry on PDA device

I have pair of XBee, and would like to see/record UAV flight, but I don't like the idea of taking notebook always with me. So I'm checking possibilities with using PDA for telemetry.A Windows Mobile PDA can run simplified Google Earth, or other GPS tracking software, or even hand-written logging/graphics tool. So this would be ideal choice to take this mini computer to pocket and go to a meadow to fly with UAV as well as to see and save results.My biggest concern is about connecting XBee to PDA. I don't see any spare wire going out of the device which would be usable as serial UART.So I checked possibilities to connect over USB, that would be just nice to plug in mini-usb connector to PDA and transfer serial data from XBee. But this would require to write USB host controller on an AVR, which looks like not realistic task. AVR-USB library is out there, but I doubt it would work for accessing the device at least in mass-storage more (suitable for writing some file there).So my last idea is using simple Bluetooth device, connect it with XBee (maybe as simple as pin-to-pin), and use Bluetooth in PDA to read from serial port.But I don't have experience with BT chips and which one to choose. So if anyone has idea about such possible connection, please post here and maybe we may come to a solution.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

This reply was deleted.

Activity