Hello,

I have reviewed many of the discussions here that talk about the need to connect a LIPO before you connect the USB if you have ESCs connected, and the suggestions in some places that this is related to blowing mux outputs. It's clear that despite the wording in the manual a lot of people are still confused. I'd like to get to a simple definitive statement of what connection combinations are OK and what aren't, and why.

I believe I have extracted the relevant facts from the discussions, please could one of the experts confirm of refute the following points:

• When we say 'ESCs connected/disconnected' we're talking about the 3-wire socket that plugs onto the header on the power board. The fat ESC wires that carry motor current and are permanently soldered to the power board are not relevant in this context. 
  • Muxes get fried by connecting this same 3-wire socket in an offset position or the wrong way round, NOT by failing to have a LIPO connected before the USB is connected.
  • If the ESCs are connected without a LIPO, and you then connect a USB cable, this will not supply sufficient power for code download, the LEDs will be dim, but no damage will occur.

If this is correct, then the only thing one has to worry about, from a damage limitation point of view, is always triple checking that you connect the ESCs correctly.

Are there any other known causes of mux overload?

Thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

I personally connect USB and Batteries in various different order every day and never burned any outputs. You should not take ESC wires off after you have connected them on first time. Usually that's the time when you can blow your MUX outputs.

Only way me and other members in development team has been able to burn those MUX outputs is when we accidentally connected ESC connector one pin too up or too down while ESC was powered.

But naturally you only keep your battery connected while you really need it, this goes with all devices like airplanes, helicopters, multicopters. Especiall inside, It is always dangerous to keep battery connected due whole system is powered and something might go wrong because of millions of reasons. And when that happens, it usually ends on bruises, broken ming dynasty vases, chandeliers, wife's favorite soup bowl and/or sometimes broken electronics.

Traditional helicopters are worst things to play with when they are powered. When I have battery connected on my normal helis, I always have 10kg crowbar put trough their landing gears to keep it on table if something happens. You don't want to get hit by 1 meter main blades.. They hurt.

Like limebear said: "then the only thing one has to worry about, from a damage limitation point of view, is always triple checking that you connect the ESCs correctly."

Here is official electronics warning that is shipped with every kit. (it can be found from wiki too)

3692176093?profile=original

• Hi this is a good idea,

I must admit this was something that early posts made me paranoid of, but always having the lipo connected seems to have done me more harm than good (so far costing me 2 motors and an esc), as for some reason i get a weird situation on motor 1/right when I plug in USB. If its safe to just use USB unless i'm calibrating ESCs etc that would be good to know.
This reply was deleted.

Activity