Troubleshooting RFD900/3DRadio setup

Hi,

I'm trying to connect the hardware to the PC (it is not yet connected on the RC side) and i spent a lot of time and i can't get it to connect.

Windows 7 (64bit) successfully installed the device, And it got COM12 id.

This is the only active port at the moment, and i'm trying to connect through the APM mission planner but no luck, keeps popping "Failed to identify radio".

How do i troubleshhot it?

Also, How do i connect APM2.6 to RFD900? I found schematics for APM2 but it is not clear at all:

-Standard cable for telemetry port is 5 pins, schematics showing four...

Please help

-Yaacov

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am trying to access a Raspberry Pi over a RFD900+ modem from my Ubuntu machine. Each machine has a RFD900+ modem attached via USB. I tried using the Unix "screen" command from Ubuntu to login into the raspberry PI as follows: "screen /dev/ttyUSB0". This command returns a blank terminal, I expected a login prompt into the raspberry PI. I have verified the modems configuration using the RFD900 configuration tool. Am i missing something? Thanks in advance for any help.

• On the TX end I had problems too. It finally just worked be selecting another com port. I KNOW I tried that several times but eventually it saw it and worked. Mine saw it on com port 15. I sort of remember something about telling the PC to search again for com ports. Like it didn't show up at first but then did. I also recall disconnected and reconnected while hot then it showed up. 

You do NOT need to install any firmware. They suggest you need to but it comes with firmware installed to work right out of the box with the telem radio setting in mission planner. 

On the RX end I too had a hard time getting a straight answer to this. But bottom line I found out it can use the exact same cable that comes with 3D Telem modual. Make sure the ground wire is bottom left on the RDF900. On the APM side on the one far side the red wire is the + volts. The wire on the opposite far end is the ground. So follow that to the other side i.e. the larger connector and make that goes the bottom left on the RDF900 [pin #1. The red wire [ VCC ] on the far end on the apm goes to the center [ pin #5 ] on the RDF900. The other 3 wires will then naturally go to the correct spot. Here's a schematic of the APM side showing the + volts on one far end and - ground opposite end. Also the schematic of the RDF900 You can also then use the schematic to manually do each wire separate if all you have is single wires. 

Once I FINALLY got one RDF900 connected to the PC I made sure it had the basic settings I wanted and uploaded to the RFD900. Then I disconnected that one then connected the other one and upload the exact same settings to that one so you know they are the same. Then install in the plane / heli. If you don't do this they might not comunicate. If that does happen at a later date use the 'reset to default' settings. VERY good idea they have this feature!!

IMG_2622.JPG

RFD900pins.jpg

• OK after googling half the internet i got nowhere:

1. Disconnecting and uninstalling all COM ports except for the telemetry (now set as COM 4)

2. Forced bootloader mode / regular mode - both ineffective

3. 2x RFD900 units, both fail to connect to computer

4. replaced RX/TX pins - no luck there

5. different usb port amd/or different computer - no luck as well

No matter what i do, I can't get it to communicate with the PC

-Yaacov

This reply was deleted.

Activity