UAV object tracking

Hey everyone! I'm pretty new here so I'm not sure if this is feasible, but I'm just toying around with the idea, and I really want to hear what other people think.Is it possible to have some sort of beacon that I can set down, say 1/2 km from the launch site, and then have the UAV search for it? I'm thinking maybe put it somewhere, and then send the UAV to a lat/lon coordinate near there, and it would be programmed to run a search pattern looking for it? Maybe it could then take pictures, while aimed at the beacon. Would it be possible to put it on a moving object, and have the plane track it? Could I put it on my friend's dog, and set him loose? (just kidding about that one :P ) Finally, the plane could return to the launch site after the battery depletes a certain amount?Thoughts anyone?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• So, I've been doing a lot of thinking about this, and I think the xbee gps would really work. Would ardupilot have the capability of following a moving waypoint? If not, i think it would be easy to adapt the formulas for patch antenna alignment to plane direction, and have it continuously fly towards the target, but it would probably be more difficult to have it circle around it. All the while, a camera could use the adapted antenna alignment formulas to be always aimed at the target.

And finally, could ardupilot be programmed to come back after the battery has depleted to say 2/3, or 3/5 of its total charge... just to stay safe in case the target has been moving far away.
  • GPS and an XBee was my first thought for the beacon.
  • Has anyone here ever used there uav to track a moving object, or find something autonomously? Maybe RF beacons aren't right for the job, but maybe very strong IR led's and IR camera that scan's for them. Any ideas?
  • Look up blob tracking in OpenCV. It is doable in a small room type environment. Visually (i.e with a camera) tracking an object over 500 meters away is something that the military probably do. Lots of processing power and heavy UAV's. That said, the drone competition in Australia recently was similiar to what you want. It was a simulated autonomous search and rescue.
  • You could hack some kind of off-the-shelf RF beacon system, like the Loc8tor, to do all the heavy lifting for you.
  • 3D Robotics
    Beacons are hard. You need fancy RF stuff with either triangulation or doppler shifting.

UAVs returning to home when the batteries get low is easy. All of ours can already do that.
This reply was deleted.

Activity