Unable to connect Xbee PRO 900 (using Xtreambee adapter)

Hi all,

I am using a Xbee Pro 900 with the Xtreambee adapter which is connected to my laptop with an FTDI cable. I have the latest version of X-CTU (v 5.1.4.1) running on Windows 7.

I selected the correct COM port but I get the errror message 'Unable to connect to modem' whenever I run the Test/Query function. I tried the procedure of updating the firmware on the Xbee witth the 'Write' function but that gives me the same kind of error as well. I even tried the procedure of unbricking the Xbee but still get the 'unable to connect' error.

I checked all the soldering connections on the Xtreambee with a multimeter and they look ok. When I contacted Digi support, they told me that they had never tested the Xbee with the Xtreambee board and that my Xtreambee board was probably not configured to work with the Xbee.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions are welcome. I might end up getting a Sparkfun Xbee USB explorer to see if I am able to connect the Xbee with that.

Thanks,

Neel

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Okay, so i got it working again. then unplugged and plugged back in and nothing!!!?
  • okay, something i'm doing is wrong. i just purchased a new netbook and plugged in the ftdi cable into ardu-mega.

Windows detected it and installed it.

I was able to send the autopilot mega sketch to it once. I did not have a shield yet, so i did not see blinking lights during transfer(normal?), but it all seemed to do okay.

Now when i plug it in, i hear the windows noise thats made when connecting a device, and immediately after i hear the noise for disconnecting it(but its still connected).

I changed a windows parameter to show phantom devices and it is still installed. I tried uninstalling it and installing driver from ftdi site. also tried uninstalling it and letting windows find one, but now there is no conformation sound from windows when i plug it in. the mega board does light up though.

Starting to hate FTDI cables! Am I the only one experiencing this problem!!?!!?!!?
  • Received the new FTDI cable.. works like a charm! :)
  • Here is the beta verison for the Xbee Pro 900 DP v.1052 if anyone wants to try it out.....
    I been useing it for about 2 months without any problems.

Jason

XBP09-DP_1051.zip

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692093797?profile=original
  • Can the xbee xtreembee board be connected to a serial port pin out? I have a USB to serial adapter and a serial cable with pin out plug.

the xtreembee board has the following:
    RTS
    DODI
    DIDO
    VIN
    CTS
    GND.

Does anyone know which pins go to what on the RS232 DB9 for this to work for connecting to a laptop? I already have the adapter which will change teh serial to USB.
  • I have also purchased the xbee pro 900. I'm also using windows 7. I cannot get the X-CTU software to do anything either. The only LED I get on the xbee whe plugged into usb via the FTDI cable is blue.

When i plugged into my work computer it detects the xbee as hardware. When plugging into win7, there is no hardware detection or anything. I have downloaded the win7 drivers but there is no install file, i assumed i would have to point it in the device manager to the folder to search for drivers.

Could this be a win7 problem?

X-CTU would not even install on win7 without using the compatibility mode for xp sp3...
  • 3D Robotics
    Did you try it with the switch in both positions?

I use that combo all the time and it works fine for me.
This reply was deleted.

Activity